Not sure what breed my ducks are, and i think one of them is a midget.

bubbamoe

In the Brooder
Aug 1, 2024
Hello! My father got these ducklings from the local bird market on the end of May and i’ve been taking care of them ever since, I tried looking what breed they are on Google but couldn’t figure out what breed they were, And one of the ducklings I’m convinced it has dwarfism of some sorts, the other ducks had their wings, beaks, feet grow normally but he’s just tiny compared to them is this normal ? (it’s the one on the very left)

Attachments

• IMG_8397.jpeg
    IMG_8397.jpeg
    582.4 KB · Views: 51
i think they are muscovy ducks . maybe the little one is younger. does her wing always droop down like that?
i’ve got them all at the same time they’re the same age the wings not often but the one on the very right does have droopy wings, even had a friend ask me why are her wings drooping

Hello! My father got these ducklings from the local bird market on the end of May and i’ve been taking care of them ever since, I tried looking what breed they are on Google but couldn’t figure out what breed they were, And one of the ducklings I’m convinced it has dwarfism of some sorts, the other ducks had their wings, beaks, feet grow normally but he’s just tiny compared to them is this normal ? (it’s the one on the very left)
They're muscovies
You're probably going to need to balance your male to female ratio, figure out which are drakes and then ensure there's enough hens. (3-6 hens per drake). Hopefully only one is male and then you may be okay as you are.

I'm not an expert but I see two that I think could be boys, and two that could be girls. Let's get some more opinions though as I'm not extremely familiar with muscovies and those are relatively young.
@Miss Lydia

Yeah, the reason there is a smaller one is because that one is a younger female and the others are older and I see a few males. Males are much larger than females. They weigh about 8-12 lbs and females 5-8 lbs.

The droopy wings are normal in Muscovy. Most of mine do that. It's almost like the weight of the new flight feathers is too much for the undeveloped wing muscles. As they age, this will change.

Yeah, I see at least two drakes (the white and the black with a collar ring). At this age, the males are already much larger than the females. The black in the back kinda looks female.

As for the one being smaller, I do have females that are practically miniature compared to even other females, but they catch up. If she's eating and acting fine, she should be okay, but maybe you'll want to give her some supplements just in case.

Also, :welcome !

Back
Top Bottom