Older pullet caring for a younger one!

Diveks

Songster
7 Years
Jul 14, 2017
Australia
Has anyone had older pullet caring for a younger one? I have this brahma that had a broken leg she went through several surgeries so i had to separate her from the flock members. I didn’t want her to feel lonely so i had put her in with two silkie pullets (1-2 month younger). Sadly one of them passed from what i think is a brain issue it had since birth.

Well after introducing them to the flock she seems to be protecting and caring for the silkie. She is a fiesty pullet and is second on the pecking order with the silkie at the bottom end. Well she will still help the silkie to her food, let her cuddle in her feathers at night, protect her from other hens/pullets. They are not laying yet but is way past the chick stage, no longer peeping ect.

The silkie has a problem seeing as she was meant to be a show silkie so im thinking of tying up her puff

Here they are:
E5CFB769-973F-476D-B5A0-7B8EE03EF3D6.jpeg
C578212A-35F4-4DCA-A56C-ADB8AC0B54EC.jpeg

That's her friend/buddy, and yes birds do sometimes protect their 'friends'.
I didnt know that chickens had buddies, i had a hen who would preen her sister and she does it back but they would still do the whole pecking order peck. Never seen a chicken actually protecting their buddies!

Instead of tying it up, get some scissors (rounded tips) and help it to a new and more practical "hair do" by trimming back all the fluff around the eyes to allow for unobstructed view.
Ohh ill try getting some scissors too i think. Im thinking of showing her but don’t think it will be too near in the future, how long do their hairdo grow back?

Im thinking of showing her but don’t think it will be too near in the future, how long do their hairdo grow back?
If she cannot find her way around, will not see food or water or any predator that might be about to pounce on her, she will not thrive or live for too long, so nothing left for show purposes.

Here in Germany, Silkies will be rated down or even disqualified if they are bred/shown without allowing for unobstructed view/free vision.

If she cannot find her way around, will not see food or water or any predator that might be about to pounce on her, she will not thrive or live for too long, so nothing left for show purposes.

Here in Germany, Silkies will be rated down or even disqualified if they are bred/shown without allowing for unobstructed view/free vision.
Oh she can find water, food, hiding places ect on her own but i just wanted her to see upwards a bit more (at least i think she can as she will run up to me and goes straight to my hands when i have food). She still can see but not as well as the other chooks. The brahma has been helping her find food since she was a younger chick so i think she was just used to it. The problem with her is that she has to tilt her head up a bit to see something up high.

So im curious, since they are supposed to have free vision in germany, is it like polishes where the only problem is looking up or are their eyes fully uncovered from all sides? People here are actually looking for head puffs so i guess different places have different standards for silkies.

So im curious, since they are supposed to have free vision in germany, is it like polishes where the only problem is looking up or are their eyes fully uncovered from all sides? People here are actually looking for head puffs so i guess different places have different standards for silkies.
The requirement is that a person standing in front of the chicken is able to see both eyes.
The chicken should not be hindered in any way.

And yes, you are right: different countries have different standards for the breeds, which applies for other animals also.

Back
Top Bottom