Onions

Carols Clucks

Songster
9 Years
Oct 13, 2010
We planted our onions in the fall, in SoCal, they have long been up and green. When do we harvest fall onions? I noticed a couple of the transplanted ones are making heads to bloom so was going to get those up.

Any onion tips or hints?

You'll want to pinch those blooms off. They take energy away from the bulb growing. Its real easy to tell when onions are ready..they fall over lol. When they fall over and start to wilt, just pull it up! If you like REALLY hot onions, here is a trick my great grandfather used. He saved up a couple of pails full of chicken droppings and would till them straight into the soil with no composting in the fall. Then come spring he planted his bulbs...boy were those suckers hot!!

I agree, pinch off the flower blooms when they come up. And yes, the stalks will fall over and wilt, that's time to pick. Let them dry for better storage. (so they don't mold) If you don't want them super strong tasting, give them frequent watering. When they get dry they get strong.

I usually plant in November and harvest in June or July.

Last edited:
I have had mine in the ground since November and they have been slow to divide and havent started flowering. Is there something I should be doing?

You dont' really want them to flower so thats ok. Are you fertilizing good..have a well drained bed and are they getting good sun? Onions don't really do that well in heavy soil and can take a good deal of sunlight.

They are in full sun and a raised bed since we have clay soil here. I havent fertilized them since they were planted, mostly due to weather conditions, the whole garden will be getting a dose of fertilizer this week.

I too planted sweet onions in November. I am just now getting some to eat tonight. I pull up the ones that have hardly or no green and wilted . Mine have never bloomed.

Back
Top Bottom