Opinion for rooster housing

Nov 6, 2022
Hello everyone,

So I'm looking for some advice about how I should house my rooster. Currently we have 1 rooster and 10 hens.He's a Ayam Cemani. He was one of 4 cemani we bought and I'm not 100% sure what the best way to keep him is. I've read lots of information, and I've seen some articles say it's fine to keep him in the coop with the hens,and some saying different. With winter coming up fast, I need to figure out what to do with him for a more permanent housing solution. Can anyone let me know what the best course of action would be, or any experience that someone has in this situation. Currently he's penned up with the other Ayam Cemani, and he seems pretty content. But if he should be by himself I'd like to know so I can build him his own house. Thanks

I don’t know about AC roosters in particular, but I don’t see a reason he can’t live with the flock. Is he aggressive toward humans?
Actually no! I've read that his breed isn't very sociable with people, but he's never given us any trouble. He's definitely protective over his ladies, but I can walk right up to him, and pick him up and hold him no problem. I suppose There's more to the question then what I'm asking, but in an attempt to not ramble on I only asked about the living arrangement. There's a whole situation that were experiencing. Apologies for lack of context.

He's definitely protective over his ladies, but I can walk right up to him, and pick him up and hold him no problem. I suppose There's more to the question then what I'm asking, but in an attempt to not ramble on I only asked about the living arrangement. There's a whole situation that were experiencing. Apologies for lack of context.
I asked because I was curious why you’re considering not letting him live in the coop with the hens. If he’s not harming you or the hens, there is no reason to separate him. Roosters don’t need any special accommodations, and they’re social creatures so he’d be lonely if kept separately.

I've read lots of information, and I've seen some articles say it's fine to keep him in the coop with the hens,and some saying different.
Could you please link one or two of those articles that say he needs to be by himself. I'd like to read that in context to try to understand what they are actually talking about. On the face if it that sounds like rubbish but there may be specific circumstances where it makes sense.

There's a whole situation that were experiencing. Apologies for lack of context.
Personally I like context. Each individual chicken has its own personality. Each flock has its own dynamics. We keep them in unique situations, how we manage and house them can be tremendously different so we can get different results even if we do exactly the same thing. Context is what might possibly make sense out of someone saying to separate him.

Hello everyone,

So I'm looking for some advice about how I should house my rooster. Currently we have 1 rooster and 10 hens.He's a Ayam Cemani. He was one of 4 cemani we bought and I'm not 100% sure what the best way to keep him is. I've read lots of information, and I've seen some articles say it's fine to keep him in the coop with the hens,and some saying different. With winter coming up fast, I need to figure out what to do with him for a more permanent housing solution. Can anyone let me know what the best course of action would be, or any experience that someone has in this situation. Currently he's penned up with the other Ayam Cemani, and he seems pretty content. But if he should be by himself I'd like to know so I can build him his own house. Thanks
My roo sleeps separate from his mate an friends. It's easier for when the girls want to lay eggs, he can't pounce on them.
His house is one of those plastic dog kennels, the igloo type. He has a cover over it to keep the frost off it and a metal grate over the door at night. To keep the draught out I put cardboard between the doorway and grate. It's warm, and muffles the sound (with the aid of a no crow collar) . Even when I'm close to it when I go to let him out in the mornings, his crow is really quiet. He can't be heard from the house, an the neighbours said they only hear him occasionally through the day.

Back
Top Bottom