Ovarian cancer with a limp?

noisyhummingbird

In the Brooder
Mar 20, 2021
Posted earlier about possibly losing yet another hen to ovarian cancer. Diarrhea starting two weeks ago certainly matched photos on Chicken Chick web site - muscousy yellow and white with flecks of dark green/black. She's been sitting by herself a lot, sleeping. Comb is pale. We've tried to provide "hospice" care and she's seemed happiest left with her little flock. Doesn't appear to be in pain. Three days ago sent my husband out to dispatch. She chirped at him and he couldn't. Now she seems to be rallying. Still obviously ill, but eyes are brighter. Providing homemade electrolytes in separate waterer in coop, where she's mostly been hanging out. Did see her eat some crumble yesterday, and ate two blueberries. Has ventured out with the flock into the yard a couple of times and seems to be enjoying the fresh air. Maybe wishful thinking, but comb seems less pale. However, limping badly on left leg the past few days. I looked carefully at foot and felt up leg into thigh. Couldn't determine any injury. Was surprised her body weight seemed fairly normal. I had expected her to feel more wasted. Does this sudden limp alert anyone to something specific? Or did she just hurt her leg because she's weak? Our chicken vet is currently unavailable recovering from breast cancer herself, and honestly, I think the trip in to the vet would stress out the bird too much. She's a not quite two year old New Hampshire Red. Other three chickens seem healthy, normal and are laying.

Most chickens even if they feel bad or are having problems, still prefer to be with their flock and get outside. If they start to peck her or run her off, that is the time she should be separated. She could have cancer, but she also could have salpingitis or infection that is affecting her leg. Injuries are very common as well. I would offer some scrambled egg bits and moistened chicken feed daily to try and keep her eating. If she eventually dies, then a necropsy could be done to pinpoint the issue. I usually do them at home, looking at the major organs. The state vet lab does very thorough ones.

Back
Top Bottom