Please Help~impacted gizzard?

IServd

In the Brooder
Sep 20, 2022
Hello, I really do need help, Im at a loss at this point~

I have read all the threads on how to treat sour crop/impacted crop etc. I have taken care of multiple different kinds of issues in my flock, especially sour and impacted crop, but this one is unlike any other.

My lavender has had crop issues for 5 days (as far as I am aware) I started treating her immediately with
Miconazole Nitrate 2% as I have always had quick and great outcomes/recoveries with it. But for some reason this particular bird (Dusk) still has the balloon crop, drinking a lot, eating nothing, and pooping nothing but water and small amounts of bile.
I live in an area of East Tennessee with absolutely no avian vets.
She also is molting and seems to be acting normal, but the dog crate she is in smells like a brewery so I just dont know what to do from here and any help or advice is most welcomed.
Could it be impacted gizzard?

Thank you So much
Sandie and Dusk

Last edited:
Sometimes during molt, the crop can slow down.

Since you've been treating this for 5 days (2X a day?), with no signs of improvement, you may want to consider giving an epsom salts flush.

Sometimes during molt, the crop can slow down.

Since you've been treating this for 5 days (2X a day?), with no signs of improvement, you may want to consider giving an epsom salts flush.
Thank you so much~ I am going to try this first thing tomorrow morning. I feel so bad for her, she is such a good calm girl…. Can you please help me with the mixture and the amount I should give to her? I have never had to do this before…thank you so very much~

Epsom salt solution is one level teaspoon Epsom salt into one cup of water, stir well. Make sure all the crystals have dissolved. Administer orally via an eyedropper.
Try using tomato juice via eyedropper, it should get things moving if it's impacted crop or gizzard.

Epsom salt solution is one level teaspoon Epsom salt into one cup of water, stir well. Make sure all the crystals have dissolved. Administer orally via an eyedropper.
Try using tomato juice via eyedropper, it should get things moving if it's impacted crop or gizzard.
Good Morning and thank you~ I tube fed her the epson salt as to not aspirate her… I could only get in about 1/2 cup. I massaged the crop and she is resting in her dog crate~ I don't have tomato juice but I do have V-8 is that the same? Her crop is big now (of course) I am thinking of putting a crop bra on her because her crop was not completely empty this morning without one. The problem with that is she wont walk or get up with it on to get water so I’ll wait until this evening. How many times do I have to do this? I pray this works for her.. she is precious to me…

Wait til her crop goes down to normal size. I dont recommend another dosing of epsom salts.
Consider observing her for a few days to see if there's improvement. In the meantime, go buy a can or bottle of tomato juice just in case. If it's not needed, you can drink it.

Wait til her crop goes down to normal size. I dont recommend another dosing of epsom salts.
Consider observing her for a few days to see if there's improvement. In the meantime, go buy a can or bottle of tomato juice just in case. If it's not needed, you can drink it.
Ok thank you so much! I will keep you updated~

Good morning,

So last night I made a watered down chick starter with a bit of molasses in it. She drank all the water off the top and ate quite a bit of the chick starter. This is the first time she has ate anything in 7 days. Her crop was huge so I put a crop bra on her. This morning her crop was not full of water but I could feel that there was a bit of mooshy stuff in it like the chick starter did not go through. She did poop but only green bile and water…So, I gave her some tomato juice maybe 2cc and a few drops of olive oil in hopes if she has a blockage it may clear it. She is still eating the wet chick feed (I know she is starving) I also am starting a round of antibiotics (Doxycycline) in case there is an underlying infection. The crop is no longer sour but just very slow and not emptying completely.

I have done everything I can possibly think of to help her, I just dont know what else I can do. I pray the antibiotics show some improvement but if not, I will just see what happens and if there is any sign of suffering and she gets too weak (she isn’t now) I will have to make a very difficult decision. Although I love her, I will not watch her suffer…

Any more suggestions would be so welcomed~ I have exhausted everything I know to do. With no chicken vet in my area and beyond, Im at a loss…Thank you all who are giving advice, it is so appreciated..

Ok, so~ Today is a new day~ She is doing amazingly better. She has pooped green balls that looks like cut grass…. She has done approximately 4 good sized formed poops that are green but do have irate on top. She has been eating and drinking and seems to be doing much better. I will continue with the 2cc of tomato juice and a couple drops of olive oil after supper. I also have been doing crop massages at least 4x per day. I am not going to put a crop bra on her tonight, it feels as if her crop is contracting when massaged, so we will see how she does in the morning.
I wanted to finish this thread because I have seen so many that just leave you hanging… but so far so good, I am so relieved…. Ill let whoever is looking how she does in the morning..
I am praising the Lord for her improvement!!!

Back
Top Bottom