PLEASE READ: Hen Acting Somewhat Broody With No Roosters and No Eggs

Mar 1, 2023
Hi all,

This is a long post, but I need help. I would appreciate if you took the time to read.

About three months ago, one of my smaller hens, Penelope (a Dominique), was attacked by a fox. My mother happened to look out the window at that moment, so she was able to run outside, grab Penelope from the fox, and take her to the vet. She had a lot of missing feathers and a bent leg, but the vet gave her some things (not exactly sure what, as I wasn't there), and she felt better within a couple weeks. She now is perfectly fine, just walks with a little bit of a limp.

A few days ago, I noticed that when I free ranged Penelope with the other seven hens (no roosters in our flock), she'd sometimes wander several yards away from them. I didn't think much of it, considering that the other chickens do this occasionally and it hasn't ever been a cause for concern. However, I did become concerned one or two days ago, when Penelope began making very strange noises when she wanted to lay. Our enclosure is separated from the coop, which is in the garage for predator purposes. When the hens want to lay during free range time, they'll usually run over to the coop while rapidly saying "tuk-tuk-tuk." They'll then lay their unfertilized egg, sometimes sit on it for 10 or 15 minutes, and then get up and start screaming so that we come out of the house and let them back into the enclosure. However, Penelope, instead of making her usual "tuk-tuk-tuk" noises, was making more of a stressed "bawk-bawk-bawk" noise. She then laid and was very unwilling to get up from the eggs, even after several hours. She didn't peck me (all of the chickens are very docile and peck extremely rarely), but she insisted on staying until I picked her up and carried her myself. My mother said that yesterday, Penelope was randomly attacking the other hens and starting fights among the flock. Even though she is by far the smallest, she is the most aggressive, and will occasionally peck other hens for no reason. But my mother's description was severe.

This morning, when I came to the coop to let them out, I found her in a nesting box guarding three unfertilized eggs from the day before, rather than sitting in her regular spot in the adjacent straw pen. She didn't really want to leave, but I took her to the enclosure anyway and removed the eggs from the coop.

Fast forward a while, to around three hours ago. I take the girls out, and Penelope starts doing her strange noises again (as she has been very often lately). Another chicken, Ellen, runs to the coop to lay, so I leave her there while the other seven free range. They go to the dust bath, and Penelope starts trying to make a nest in the dust bath while continuing to make her noises. When I take them back to the enclosure, Penelope runs off to the coop as fast as she can with her limp. I take Ellen and her egg out so that the coop is empty, and watch as Penelope goes to a nesting box, sits down, and guards absolutely nothing. She's still doing it two and a half hours later and doesn't want to leave. (I've tried twice, she's even more defensive than before. With no egg.)

What's going on with her? We have no roosters, and have never had any in my almost year and a half of having her. She's never acted this way before. What should I do?

Side question: If we bought day-old female chicks from an outside source, would the hens take care of them or kill them? We cannot have roosters in our area as it is urban.

What's going on with her?
She sounds broody to me.
Are you sure she is starting the fights and not the other hens?
Does she walk around somewhat puffed out with her tail slightly or fully fanned? Does she make a "cluck - cluck - cluck" ticking time bomb sound?
We have no roosters, and have never had any in my almost year and a half of having her.
The presence or absence of a rooster has no bearing on a hen going broody.
What should I do?
Break her in a broody breaker, give her fertile eggs or you could try to give her 1-5 day old chicks AFTER SHE'S SET ON FAKE EGGS FOR 21 days.
If we bought day-old female chicks from an outside source, would the hens take care of them or kill them?
Some broody hens that have sat for at or near 3 weeks will accept chicks. Some will not. You can try. But as I wrote above, giving them to her randomly will reduce the chances of acceptance.

You can give this article a read and it will walk you through the various things I do to manage broody hens that have been successful over the years for me.

Last edited:
Are you sure she is starting the fights and not the other hens?
Does she walk around somewhat puffed out with her tail slightly or fully fanned? Does she make a "cluck - cluck - cluck" ticking time bomb sound?
I would say yes to all of those questions.

Break her in a broody breaker, give her fertile eggs or you could try to give her 1-5 day old chicks AFTER SHE'S SET ON FAKE EGGS FOR 21 days.
What is a broody breaker? Does it mean that I could get Penelope out of her broodiness without using chicks or eggs?

Thanks for your article link, I'll check it out when I have more time. :)

Here is how you know you have a broody hen:
  • The majority of the day, she will sit on eggs (or what she thinks are eggs-when a hen's hormones rise they can believe crazy objects like lightbulbs and spoons are eggs).
  • The hen will screech, hiss and growl when disturbed on the nest.
  • When off the nest, the hen will be puffed up as full as she can, often looking like a round, fluffy ball. She will constantly make a low, throaty, "tuck . . . tuck . . . tuck . . ." noise. She will often have her wings down to look even more intimidating.
  • If a broody hen is off her nest and another hen approaches, she will most likely let out a screech and run away.
  • A broody hen off the nest will randomly rear up and flap her wings while letting out a loud, piercing screech/roar. The purpose for this is likely to just look even more intimidating and further announce she is broody so no one needs to mess with her.
A hen will go broody no matter if there is a rooster or not, and sit on unfertilized eggs. The absence or presence of a rooster has nothing to do with a hen's broodiness. You can break a broody hen by putting her in an uncomfortable cage. Yes, uncomfortable, the hen will have her broodiness hormones rapidly decreased if she is focused on how much her feet hurt from walking on metal and having no grass or anything else to peck around on.

To break a broody hen you just put her in broody jail for a few days. Broody jail is a dog crate with nothing in it but food, water and a perch, nothing more, not even wood chips or straw to bed in, the cage MUST be bare bottomed. You just stick her in there for a few days and she should go back to normal. If she's still broody after a few days, put her in for a few more days. Obviously make sure she's safe from predators and the elements and it's totally fine, and in fact preferable that she be in view of the flock (to avoid needing to reintegrate)

I would say yes to all of those questions.

What is a broody breaker? Does it mean that I could get Penelope out of her broodiness without using chicks or eggs?

Thanks for your article link, I'll check it out when I have more time. :)
The broody breaker is described in the article with a picture. The article will help you. It's not that long.

Yes. It is a wire dog crate that is elevated. You put food and water and a board in the crate for her to sit on. She's kept locked in that crate for a minimum of 3 days and 2 nights. Then you can let her out about 2 hours before roost time after the third day and see if she roosts on her own. If she goes back to the nest box she's still broody and you need to put her back in the breaker for another day and then try again the next night.

If the weather is hot or at least nice and warm, I also give the broody a cool bath before putting her in broody jail. I only want to cool off her breast and belly, and between her legs, so the water does not have to cover her back. Generally they do not fight this much, it seems to feel good to them. I will do this every day of the jail time, as I want to lower her body temperature.

You can also let her out once a day to dust bathe and take a big poop, but put her back in as soon as she heads back to the nest. Good luck!

My test of whether a hen is truly broody or not is where she spends her nights. There are a lot of signs that a hen might be broody or even partially broody, a lot of them are listed above. Being broody is controlled by hormones. A hen may have enough of them to sort of act broody but not be broody enough to deserve eggs or chicks. I've had hens act partially broody for over week before flipping to full broody mode or stop acting broody at all.

My test is that a hen has to spend two consecutive nights on the nest instead of sleeping in her normal spot. One night is not enough, it has to be two consecutive nights. It is a very simple test and has not failed me yet.

Back
Top Bottom