Question on light bulbs

Country Gal

Songster
12 Years
Feb 2, 2007
Capac, MI
When I set up my heat lamp in the brooder, does it make a difference if I use a red or a white light bulb? If I use red, should I have a regular lamp set up as well to provide light?

Thanks!

Are you talking about a true heat lamp bulb? That is not something you want to use in the house, its much too hot and a fire hazard. I use a red 85 watt spot light bulf that goes into outside spot lights. Works very well.

If they are in a room that recieves other light sources an additional white light is not necessary. I only used the flourescent during the Winter time when there is so little natural light.

Last edited:
I tried the red Flood Light myself. Problem is, they're tempermental. If it somehow gets shut off, it might require a cool down period, before it can be turned back on. On my set-up, before I removed the bator, I had dogs run trough the cord several times and blow out a 2nd bulb
sad.png

I use red 250w heat lamp bulbs. They are not a fire hazard they are as safe or safer then a reg 100 what house hold bulb here is a few reasons I like them

1 you can hold the light a lot higher off the birds and still get 90 - 95 f at floor level.

2 food rated bulbs have to be shatter proof rated againt food or water conctact. So if bulb happens to get wet it is less likely to come apart

3 rated at 250,000 hrs of use I have used mine for 3 or 4 years now to help keep new born cats, goats, chicks alive and warm in the winter.

4 fairly cheap about $10 at the co-op or lowes.

lively, I agree with your thoughts on this issue, however we only pay $4.95 per bulb at our farm store ( fleet farm ), kinda like a 2 for 1 sale where I shop!
ep.gif

bigzio

I used a clamp on spot light that I baught at HomeDepot for $7 dollars with a regular light bulb ( 100watt) and a square of red cellophane that my hubby brought me.

lite.jpg

The cellophane was rated for 400dagrees and doesn't seem to be affected by the lamp (ie no melting). Not sure where he got it or how much it cost. I will ask when he gets home.

I'm wondering if we are talking about having our lights in different places. My brooder is here in the house, using the heat lamp even made the room too hot to be in. Using my red spot, very similar to the setup like Urbanhomesteader has had my temp at 100 degrees directly under the light. The light is set 24 inches above the floor of the brooder.

Back
Top Bottom