Random blue spots on green egg

eeldien

In the Brooder
Jan 16, 2021
Hello all. My green queen popped this egg out today and I thought it was really weird. I just want to see if this is something that can happen occasionally to eggs or if there is something else going on. Below is a picture of the egg she produced today. Generally her eggs range from a light olive green to a light army green. I thought these spots of blue were random and was wondering about what might cause such a phenomenon…

Attachments

• IMG_3288.jpeg
    IMG_3288.jpeg
    292.4 KB · Views: 8
Has she only ever laid solid green eggs?
It may help to understand how pigment is applied to the shell.
The blue pigment is applied during the process of calcium application. This is evident from the hint of blue on the inside of blue, green and olive eggs. Then (except for some rare breeds) brown pigment is applied after the shell is fully formed. The genetics of blue egg layers dictate when and where in the uterus the pigment glands are.

Has she only ever laid solid green eggs?
It may help to understand how pigment is applied to the shell.
The blue pigment is applied during the process of calcium application. This is evident from the hint of blue on the inside of blue, green and olive eggs. Then (except for some rare breeds) brown pigment is applied after the shell is fully formed. The genetics of blue egg layers dictate when and where in the uterus the pigment glands are.
Yes- she has only laid green eggs. She is about 3 years old and is one of my most consistent egg layers. Thank you for the info about when the color is applied during the egg formation process. You all are so knowledgeable!!

Back
Top Bottom