Reintroducing new momma with chicks to the (hens only) flock

Garden Engineer

In the Brooder
Aug 18, 2023
Agnes, one of my four hens, went broody in mid-May. Rather than trying to break her out of it, I decided to let her try to hatch some (potentially) fertilized eggs I got from a friend.

All the hens insisted on using the same nest box, climbing on top of Agnes to do so. In order to give Agnes some peace, I set up a brooder area in the indoor run by installing an old screen at one end. Everybody can still see each other.

Agnes hatched out two chicks two-and-a-half weeks ago. Recently, she seems to be going stir crazy, and started pecking at the separation screen. I removed the screen to allow her and the chicks access to the main run. She spent time showing the chicks around the indoor run and made a quick check of the old nest box.

Then the other chickens came inside, and one of them, Sally, started attacking Agnes. She did not attack the chicks, but since they follow momma everywhere, they got caught in the crossfire. They hid behind various logs that I keep in the run, but they were clearly frightened.

Agnes had originally started at the bottom of the pecking order, but worked her way up to the top once she started laying (a full week and a half before anyone else). I think Sally wants to contest her. I need to give Agnes the opportunity to find her (possibly new) place in the flock, but I don’t want the chicks to get hurt in the process.

• Should I separate Agnes from the chicks and let her work out her issues with her sister?
  • Should I keep both Agnes and the chicks in the brooder for now and try again from time to time?
  • Should I just remove the separation and hope the chicks know enough to stay out of the way, and only interfere if it seems they are in trouble?
I do fear that if Sally usurps Agnes’s place, the chicks might be in danger.

2 1/2 week old chicks are quicker than lightening. The hideouts are a good idea - add more.

I think the worst is over if you don't interfere. If you put her back into the brooder, let her back out. It is important for her to get the flock used to the chicks, because she is going to forget them soon.

They will still be part of the flock, and will do just fine - they will just be a sub flock until they start laying.

Mrs K

As an update:
I broke down an old hard-shell cat carrier and used the top as a hidey-cave for the chicks if they need it. I waited until afternoon, when everyone is consistently hanging outside, to let Agnes and the chicks out. Agnes brought the chicks to the central feeding spot in the indoor run, and promptly went outside to share her "thoughts" with her sisters. This is what I was hoping for, so they could have more space to work things out. It seemed to go fairly well. I doubt they completely worked through the pecking order, but at least it seems that everyone's flock identity has been accepted.

When I introduced my bloody hen and chicks back to the flock, she was originally in the middle, but she fought every hen higher than her and got to the top of the pecking order. Her and one other hen were literally fighting for days, neither one wanted to back down. Eventually the broody won and everything is mostly fine now. She is a but overprotective though.

Back
Top Bottom