Rolled tindin in leg

Spirithunter

Hatching
May 7, 2024
I'm in desperate need of help. Just got my first turkeys 6 weeks ago and 1 has a rolled tendin in its leg and can only hope on 1 leg. I have tried watching the videos on how to correct this but I haven't had any luck. Tried wrapping the leg and even bought finger stints but the problem now is I can even massage it straight. The wrap only made it swell. Please can anybody give me anymore ideas on how to get the tendin back in place. No vets around here will even try.

I'm in desperate need of help. Just got my first turkeys 6 weeks ago and 1 has a rolled tendon in its leg and can only hope on 1 leg. I have tried watching the videos on how to correct this but I haven't had any luck. Tried wrapping the leg and even bought finger stints but the problem now is I can even massage it straight. The wrap only made it swell. Please can anybody give me anymore ideas on how to get the tendon back in place. No vets around here will even try.
To put the tendon back into the groove on the back of the hock joint, you first have to extend the leg fully. Then you can gently move the tendon back into its groove.

Once you have it there, it has to be secured in place. If you wrap it too tightly you can cut off the blood flow to the lower part of the leg. This is why a splint is recommended. The splint prevents the tendon from sliding out of the groove. The splint does not have to be wrapped too tight, just enough above and below the hock to keep it from moving. The splint should not hold the leg straight but should allow a bend at the hock.

Home repairs for slipped tendons on turkeys do not usually turn out well.

To put the tendon back into the groove on the back of the hock joint, you first have to extend the leg fully. Then you can gently move the tendon back into its groove.

Once you have it there, it has to be secured in place. If you wrap it too tightly you can cut off the blood flow to the lower part of the leg. This is why a splint is recommended. The splint prevents the tendon from sliding out of the groove. The splint does not have to be wrapped too tight, just enough above and below the hock to keep it from moving. The splint should not hold the leg straight but should allow a bend at the hock.

Home repairs for slipped tendons on turkeys do not usually turn out well.
That is so not what I wanted to hear..it kills me that I can't seem to help her no matter what..I'm trying and will continue to try. Very discouraging..

Back
Top Bottom