Rooster is exotic animal, hen is not?

Ursuline Chick

Rest in Peace 1957-2024
Jul 21, 2017
NOLA
Hi, I have had chickens for about 5 years and monitor this site regularly, but am finally becoming a member. I live in a city, where people have had chickens in their yards for almost 300 years. A while back someone in politics decided that a rooster is an exotic animal, however you can keep 4 hens in your backyard. Hate to start anything, because maybe someone will realize how dumb this law is and decide that a hen is exotic as well. Just blowing off a little steam, because I am tired of getting up in the middle of the night to protect my girls from possums and pole cats. I had a rooster for four years and didn't have this problem, then 2 years ago someone ratted me out and I had to rehome my beautiful buddy. Now I have major problems protecting my girls. We are constantly working on their night time area (it is completely enclosed), they free range in my backyard during the day, and I have caught a possum with a hen in his mouth at 2am. I just miss my Roo, he was a great rooster, kind to his girls and very protective, while still allowing neighborhood kids to hand feed him and even pet him. Thanks for letting me vent, and if anyone has any ideas as to how I might be able to keep a roo, I am open to them.

Hi, I have had chickens for about 5 years and monitor this site regularly, but am finally becoming a member. I live in a city, where people have had chickens in their yards for almost 300 years. A while back someone in politics decided that a rooster is an exotic animal, however you can keep 4 hens in your backyard. Hate to start anything, because maybe someone will realize how dumb this law is and decide that a hen is exotic as well. Just blowing off a little steam, because I am tired of getting up in the middle of the night to protect my girls from possums and pole cats. I had a rooster for four years and didn't have this problem, then 2 years ago someone ratted me out and I had to rehome my beautiful buddy. Now I have major problems protecting my girls. We are constantly working on their night time area (it is completely enclosed), they free range in my backyard during the day, and I have caught a possum with a hen in his mouth at 2am. I just miss my Roo, he was a great rooster, kind to his girls and very protective, while still allowing neighborhood kids to hand feed him and even pet him. Thanks for letting me vent, and if anyone has any ideas as to how I might be able to keep a roo, I am open to them.
Did you check into the no crow collars?

WOW, had no idea that existed, thank you so much Junochick. Hubby just read about them to me after your suggestion and that just may be the answer. thanks again

Can they explain why a rooster is exotic?? Roosters and Hens are both CHICKENS, roosters are boy chickens and hens are girl chickens. Alot of barnyard roosters are pretty drab looking and some hens are very chic - they are really using dumb words to rule out male chickens.

I'm sorry for you. People are very much divided on no crow collars, I just look at it this way, "If they worked no one would have to give away their rooster."

There is a vet that used to advertise non-crowing roosters that he had operated on. They were $ 200 each, whatever breed /temperament they happened to be. I don't believe he did the surgery for anyone else.

One of our BYC members was desperate to keep his favorite roo, his vet tried to de-crow him, sadly the rooster died. I don't think it is that easy to do and probably the average vet has little or no experience doing it.

Thank you, Drumstick Diva, I had read about the de-crowing surgery years ago and thought the odds were not worth ones fav roo's life. Hubby and I are RN's so we sort of got that it was rather dangerous for the poor roo. Also nice that someone else got the stupidity of this "law". All of our neighbors were okay with the roo in the beginning, we actually went house to house and asked if anyone would have a problem with him. He was a cockerel saved while trying to cross a busy highway, and had to get him some hens after he kept pecking on my back door window to come out and play with him. We had him for about 4 years and he was very protective of his hens, even standing down more than one hawk. Still not sure who ratted me out. But neighbors aren't getting any eggs anymore. He even producted 4 lovely offspring with a broody hen the year before we had to rehome him. Just still miss him

Exotic is an interesting designation for a rooster, most communities simple have rooster restrictions written in as a noise nuisance. Our local county had a 6 hen no rooster policy for in city limit neighborhoods and subdivisions. But we just moved out of town. Good luck I hour your coop maintenance slices your issues, it never hurts to question the local laws you might not get the anwsers you hope for but you might be able to help chamge things too

What can I say, politics have been rather exotic here the last twelve years. I just think the wording is silly, how can the male of a species be exotic and the female not be. Most people realize this makes no sense. I have always lived in the middle of my city and animals in peoples yards were a common sight. Read, chickens, ducks, mules, horses, ponys, otters and gators. Sometimes we forget where we come from. That seems to be a problem for us in the last twelve years, we have forgotten who we are as a city.

Welcome aboard! :frow
We are glad you joined our flock.
This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:
Get settled in and share some pics of your flock!

The law is really ridiculous. Buy a special collar for a roo, so it can't make loud sounds.

Back
Top Bottom