Rooster suddenly attacking hen

Hayley8191

Hatching
Aug 26, 2024
I got an accidental rooster earlier this year, and it's been okay until last week when the hen at the top of the pecking order suddenly passed away.

Since then he's been attacking the hen who was second in command. As soon as I noticed that he was attacking her, I removed him from the run and seperated them for four days. They could still see each other but he couldn't physically get after her. After four days, I reintroduced them and he attacked her almost immediately to the point where I think he would have killed her if he hadn't been stopped. He gave her a large wound on her neck, so she's currently seperated from the flock while she heals.

I'm really distraught over the whole thing, but I need to figure out what to do asap. I worry that he could end up in a bad situation if I rehome him due to his aggression (he's aggressive towards people too). It seems difficult to rehome nice roosters, so I'm thinking it would be next to impossible to rehome an aggressive one.

The other options I'm considering are to build a shelter for him and let him free range in the yard or to cull him. I've been a vegetarian for the last 18 years and have a very soft heart, so this option is not easy for me to consider. I'm really not sure what the right decision is, so i could use some advice from more experienced chicken tenders.

He's young, so part of me thinks he might calm down if he's given time, but I don't want my hens to live in fear or potentially be killed by him.

He's not to be rehomed if he's both aggressive to other birds, & people. He'll pass this on to any chicks he father's. Best to eliminate him.
Yes, that's my thought too. What do you think of the idea of building a seperate shelter for him to sleep in and free range in my yard during the day? Culling him is the last option, in my mind, but I will do it if that's what's best.

Yes, that's my thought too. What do you think of the idea of building a seperate shelter for him to sleep in and free range in my yard during the day? Culling him is the last option, in my mind, but I will do it if that's what's best.
Honestly, penning him alone may not be the best for him. Especially if he's attacking you/people.

The OP is a vegetarian, not making soup. But maybe the OP knows someone who could.

OP - think of it as creating compost. Just bury him and plant a rose bush. I do respect your view point, but a people aggressive rooster would be a danger to anyone visiting your home. Frostranger is right, he is going to get much worse. That is a liability, and really no one deserves to be attacked.

They are dangerous, and need to be put down.

Back
Top Bottom