Sand for coop/run

holiday hawk

Chirping
Apr 12, 2023
We just got horrendous rain over the past three days, needless to say our run is a mess. I'm looking into using some kid of flooring to help keep it clean in the future. My initial thought was straw, but I see a lot of people online saying that sand is better. I also remember seeing people use sand as the bedding in the coop as well. The big issue I see, though, is that different companies call different kinds of sands the same thing; I want to make sure I avoid play sand. Would either of these be good bedding/flooring for the coop and run? If not would you suggest something different?

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...qdN367mRtjbs7ZHzFd1h3VOWIi5vCOGhoC680QAvD_BwE

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kolor-Scap...NuzYbvpAcQtrs8lA-3BoCj6UQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Sand should not be used as bedding. Not only can chickens eat it and get E Coli, but they will poop (as chickens do). It might be easier to scoop poop out of sand, but if the poop becomes ‘breaded’ with sand, the chickens might try to eat it. Pine shavings (not cedar), shredded paper (with soy-based ink), or straw is much better. Chickens love to eat straw chaff. You can use hay, but make sure you clean it out often because hay is ‘greener’ than straw and get get moldy quickly.
Hope this helps!

We just got horrendous rain over the past three days, needless to say our run is a mess. I'm looking into using some kid of flooring to help keep it clean in the future.
Was there any kind of bedding in your run, or just dirt?
Did the rain come in from above or flood in from the sides of run?
Pics of your run would help here.

IMO, coarse wood chippings from a tree trimmer are the best run bedding.
Never have to 'clean' as the wood decomposes the poops.

I use sand inside my coop with no problems. Chickens eat poop all the time - there's no avoiding that. If they get a bit of it by nibbling on the sand in my coop, I'm not bothered by it. I do scoop the poop every morning into a bucket, which I then dump into my composter. It takes less than 10 minutes, generally more like 5.

My coop is 4x8 and the floor is elevated to my waist height. I have 3 doors each on both long sides that give me full access for easy reaching to anywhere in the coop.

The sand I use is a crushed limestone. My local supplier calls it construction sand. It cost $2.50 per 5 gallon bucket. I have about 10 buckets worth in there right now. I add another bucket every now and then. Sand is heavy, so make sure your floor and supports can hold the weight. 6 inches of sand in a 4x8 coop weighs over a ton.

I live in upstate Pennsylvania, and I would NOT use sand in my run. I have clay soil. Sand, clay, water and straw is what they mix together to make bricks!

I do use straw in my run all year long, especially in the mud seasons. Occasionally I throw in some aspen shavings from my rabbit cage. The chickens dig it all into the ground eventually, where it breaks down into a fast draining loam. Chopped straw breaks down faster than long, but whatever you can get cheapest will work.

I would avoid hay, as it molds and rots into a slimy stinky mess before it fully decomposes.

My last chicken yard had good black compost/soil that was over 8 inches deep after several years of use. It will take a few years before my new coop reaches that glorious level :(

Best wishes on you coop and run.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom