Scaly leg mites

KatsHerd

Chirping
Jul 30, 2024
This is definitely scaly leg mites isn't it?
My beautiful new blue splash wyandotte rooster came with this, he's in quarantine still, but I have NEVER actually dealt with scaly leg mites yet. Our plan is to scrub any excess skin off & apply some mite treatment & Vaseline? Is that right? That's what Google has been telling me. I'd like to get him sorted asap to help him feel more comfortable.

If it helps we are in Australia, so most of the branded mite treatment I've found on google searches i can't find available to us here.

Attachments

• Messenger_creation_9B0328A1-6C04-4AFF-8A16-F99805E1B417.jpeg
    Messenger_creation_9B0328A1-6C04-4AFF-8A16-F99805E1B417.jpeg
    359.6 KB · Views: 8
Soapy warm water soaks daily for 15 minutes, using a toothbrush to gently brush the scales, followed by twice a week application of petroleum jelly, castor, or mineral oil rubbed into the legs for a few weeks would be a good treatment. Get them under control before adding him to your flock and coop. Make sure he has a place to dust bathe.

Soapy warm water soaks daily for 15 minutes, using a toothbrush to gently brush the scales, followed by twice a week application of petroleum jelly, castor, or mineral oil rubbed into the legs for a few weeks would be a good treatment. Get them under control before adding him to your flock and coop. Make sure he has a place to dust bathe.
Awesome, thank you so much!! Hopefully we can get him under control asap!

Back
Top Bottom