Severely injured duckling. Please help ASAP. Pics included

anangrygoose

Chirping
Sep 1, 2024
Hello everyone, my wife went to check on the birds this morning. Noticed one of my 3 week old ducklings had this massive wound on her thigh.

She's currently cleaning it in saltwater, and I'll be separating her and keeping her warm with food and water (should I put nutri drench?)

I plan on getting blue coat on the way home.

What else should I do? It seems I should sew this shut, but I've never done that. Please help ASAP!

She's in good spirits it seems. Not too bothered by it, but man, it looks horrendous.
1000003335.jpg
1000003334.jpg

could be a rat bite. I would secure the run, make sure there's nothing a predator could sneak through, or that the ducks can accidentally stab themselves on. as for the wound, I recommend isolating the duck, and bringing it into the house to heal. not sure if it will tho, that's a big cut compared to body size.

could be a rat bite. I would secure the run, make sure there's nothing a predator could sneak through, or that the ducks can accidentally stab themselves on. as for the wound, I recommend isolating the duck, and bringing it into the house to heal. not sure if it will tho, that's a big cut compared to body size.
Thanks. I'll definitely be securing the run more today to prevent it from happening again.

That's what I'm afraid of. I'll do what I can for now though.

Definitely keep your duck indoors so it doesn't get fly strike.

I'd get some triple antibiotic ointment without the painkiller and put on it after you rinse it with saline solution. If you can get some iodine or Hibiclens, that would be better than the saline.

Yes, put her on Nutra Drench or Poultry Cell vitamins to help support her healing and fighting infection.

What other birds are in with the duckling? Any chickens, rooster, or adult drake? BluKote is only for scrapes and minor wounds. With one this deep with tissues showing, I would use either Hibiclens and water, or Betadine/Equate First Aid Antiseptic from Walmart around $7. You can weaken the Betadine a little. A little plain Neosporin triple antibiotic ointment should be applied twice a day. Leave it open. Separate in a wire dog crate with food and water, but let her see the others. Offer food and water. Give some updates with pictures, and I hope she does well.
https://i5.walmartimages.com/seo/Eq....jpeg?odnHeight=160&odnWidth=160&odnBg=FFFFFF

Definitely keep your duck indoors so it doesn't get fly strike.

I'd get some triple antibiotic ointment without the painkiller and put on it after you rinse it with saline solution. If you can get some iodine or Hibiclens, that would be better than the saline.

Yes, put her on Nutra Drench or Poultry Cell vitamins to help support her healing and fighting infection.
What other birds are in with the duckling? Any chickens, rooster, or adult drake? BluKote is only for scrapes and minor wounds. With one this deep with tissues showing, I would use either Hibiclens and water, or Betadine/Equate First Aid Solution from Walmart around $7. You can weaken the Betadine a little. A little plain Neosporin triple antibiotic ointment should be applied twice a day. Leave it open. Separate in a wire dog crate with food and water, but let her see the others. Offer food and water. Give some updates with pictures, and I hope she does well.

Awesome. That is exactly what I will be doing then. I thought the same about BluKote when I was reading about it more.

Very appreciated. Will do!

Also, no other birds in the coop with them besides the other ducks. No drakes. The chickens are separated.

Back
Top Bottom