Sexing 3-4 week old Cream Legbar chicks

Agathe

Songster
Jun 1, 2021
At 3-4 weeks, or when they're just about fully feathered, are there any distinct differences between the males and females? I can't seem to find the answer online, it's usually about sexing newly hatched chicks.

Thing is we were sure one was a hen with the striped back, eyeliner and all. No photos, sorry as I don't remember who was who. Now that she's feathered she looks more gray like the roosters while all the other hens are more brown in color. One or two of the hens had the white dot, but as far as I know this is normal and I don't remember if she was one of them. For future reference though, as I know we'll find out sooner or later, at a few weeks, how to best tell them apart?

This is my crested cream legbar pullet around 4-5 weeks.

Attachments

• IMG_4233.jpeg
    IMG_4233.jpeg
    555.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4103.jpeg
    IMG_4103.jpeg
    107 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4059.jpeg
    IMG_4059.jpeg
    402.4 KB · Views: 12
At hatch, females are dark chipmunk, males are blonde chipmunk.
Yes, they look different at every state, just Google 'cream legbar rooster',, I'm not sure why you can't see a definite answer.
I just haven't found many photos of the difference at that between stage and no one has mentioned difference in color at that age, so that's why I'm unsure whether hens can appear gray or if it means she's really a he! :)

I just haven't found many photos of the difference at that between stage and no one has mentioned difference in color at that age, so that's why I'm unsure whether hens can appear gray or if it means she's really a he! :)
I think my girl was kind of gray. If you look at the top picture you can see a lot of gray coloring! I hope that helps!

Males have much more distinct barring. I believe males have two copies of the barring gene, that's what makes them look lighter. If you can post a current Pic we can probably figure it out.

I don't have a cockerel, but my legbar pullet has always been pretty grey.
1000008822.jpg
this is her at about 10 weeks
1000007668.jpg

And this is around 3 or 4 weeks

Back
Top Bottom