should i get turkeys?

should I get some "pet"-like turkeys this spring? and if yes do they get along well with chickens if I were to raise them with chicks next spring?
I strongly recommend that you do not brood poults with chicks. I also don't recommend human imprinting them.

Turkeys imprint very easily. The imprinting removes their ability to understand that there is a difference between them and the species they are imprinted by. It does not affect their natural instincts.

It is not good when a bird as large as a turkey decides it is time to move up in the pecking order and starts treating your chickens or yourself the same as it would treat a rival turkey.

If blackhead is a problem in your area, keeping turkeys with chickens can be a death sentence to the turkeys since chickens can be carriers.

I have had several chickens killed by turkeys that didn't understand they were different species.
The first poults I got at 8 wks were imprinted on people and became people aggressive. After trying may things I invited them all to dinner.
The turkeys I have now aren't people aggressive and if the chickens run everyone lives.

I have had several chickens killed by turkeys that didn't understand they were different species.
The first poults I got at 8 wks were imprinted on people and became people aggressive. After trying may things I invited them all to dinner.
The turkeys I have now aren't people aggressive and if the chickens run everyone lives.
Did you have male or female turkeys? (not that it really matters, im just curious)

Ok, so if I were to get turkeys, I should get hens if I don't intend to use them for meat?
If you want them for pets, yes, get hens which means you will be getting turkeys that are likely at least 3 months old and you will be getting them locally.

I got turkeys originally for grasshopper control.

should I get some "pet"-like turkeys this spring? and if yes do they get along well with chickens if I were to raise them with chicks next spring?
I've never raised them, but here's my adventure with one. :)

The farmer lady across the road raises dozens of chickens, ducks, and geese and has a pair of turkeys in her barn. The turkeys were raised apart from the rest in a barn with donkeys and ponies. They stay in that area away from the rest, but the geese would always come visit. The chickens are kept in a run a distance away.

Her hen became a problem over here because she'd come over here when she spotted one of us out in the yard. She would follow us back home or went home when the neighbor came to get her. That went on for several weeks. One day it got worse when I looked out the window and there she was. She saw me through the huge kitchen window and flew up to try to get to me. The neighbor then kept her penned up in the barn for a couple of weeks and I stayed away from her when I'd go over there. That worked, it stopped. The tom had never come with her, he stayed home.

turkey.jpg

Now in recent weeks we've had a wild hen coming in our yard. The chickens run hide from it, and the dogs won't chase it as they're used to the neighbor's hen always being here.

Did you have male or female turkeys? (not that it really matters, im just curious)
The males were the ones that attacked me.
Both sexes will go after chickens .
I have had up to 21 turkey hens, 6 toms, 70 chicken hens and 9 roosters at the same time.... I had long covid so didn't sell extras for a couple years and the guy I was getting feed from would trade for turkey eggs.... until he sold the place.
I'm down to 8 turkey hens, 3 toms and 18 poults. Coyotes have gotten 2 turkey hens this month. About 50 chicken hens

Back
Top Bottom