Should I put them outside (15 days old)?

Put 15 day old chicks outside?

• Yes

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Wait 2 more weeks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Tude

Chirping
Sep 2, 2024
Moscow, Idaho
Sorry I know this question gets asked a lot, but mine are still so much younger than most other threads, so I thought I would take a poll.

I have six 15 day old chicks living upstairs in a puppy playpen and they are starting to get a bit wild. It used to be really cute when they would fly into my lap when I opened the door, but now they fly into my lap and go exploring, poop everywhere, and really don't want to go back in! It's going to be hot/warm here the next couple weeks (80s/90s during the day and 50s at night). The last 3 days I have taken them out to the 6x12 run and let them stay out for several hours. I also have a small, raised henhouse attached to the run I could use as a brooder for them with an ecoglow heater.

I was planning to keep them inside until they were 4 weeks old, then have them for a week or two in the hen house and supervised in the run, but they are growing in size and personality so darn fast. How do people keep them inside for so long?

If the weather is nice, it's recommended chicks as young as two weeks start having day trips outside. Protect from predators, provide sun and shade and plenty of water to drink. Take back indoors when chicks show signs of chilling, huddling.

As long as you can supervise to make sure they know how to get to their heat source when they need it, no reason for them to be inside any longer. Since it will be hot during the day make sure there's places where they can get shade from the sun as well.

I brood outdoors as soon as I get them, so slightly different than how you've set up, but by the time they're around 2 weeks old mine have full coop and run access all day (because yes, they are full of energy!) and will return to the brooder to warm up when needed.

Thanks everyone! I decided to start putting them outside in the run during the day when I am home, and bringing them inside at night, mainly because it seems like the handling right now is good for them, and it's hard to handle them in the run. I'll likely move them into the henhouse at night this weekend or next week. I figure this is the best of both worlds.

I really appreciate this forum!

Back
Top Bottom