Sick chick! Help!!

Chick2212

In the Brooder
May 6, 2024
One of my chicks looks very sick. She is around one and a half months old. She is standing still in one location with her eyes closed and her head burrower in her feathers. She is much smaller than the other chicks and she is not eating or drinking as well. She has been like this for 3 days. She did eat a tiny snake, the smallest snake in the world. I am not sure what is the cause or how I can treat her sickness

One of my chicks looks very sick. She is around one and a half months old. She is standing still in one location with her eyes closed and her head burrower in her feathers. She is much smaller than the other chicks and she is not eating or drinking as well. She has been like this for 3 days. She did eat a tiny snake, the smallest snake in the world. I am not sure what is the cause or how I can treat her sickness
is her crop full

Coccidiosis might be a problem, but I would check her crop to see if it is full and hard. Do you have chick grit out for them, to help digest grasses and foods other than chick feed. Coccidiosis can be treated with Corid or amprollium in the water. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Get it at most feed stores in the cattle medicines.

Sand might be taken making the crop worse. Most feed stores, such as TSC have chick sized grit. Is the chick outside on the soil yet? They may find some suitable grit there. Chick grit should be used for the first 11 weeks if memory serves me. Maybe you could smash a little regular grit with a hammer to make some smaller. But cover your eyes, and do it away from the chickens.

Sand might be taken making the crop worse. Most feed stores, such as TSC have chick sized grit. Is the chick outside on the soil yet? They may find some suitable grit there. Chick grit should be used for the first 11 weeks if memory serves me. Maybe you could smash a little regular grit with a hammer to make some smaller. But cover your eyes, and do it away from the chicken.
The chicks are on the soil now. I tried feeding her smashed grit but she does not eat it. How can I make her eat it?

Back
Top Bottom