Sick Hen

OBrienChickens

Chirping
9 Years
May 11, 2015
Hi all. I have an approximately 1 year old black copper maran named Coraline who has been a bit lethargic for the past 2 days. Last night I found her in one of the floor nesting boxes completely separate from the rest of the flock seemingly dazed. The flock stays in the run unless I'm home. I often let them free range. Their last free range was 2 days ago.

I put her on the perch to see if it was a fluke and this morning I found her back in that box. She stands there with her head and neck all hunched over with her tail up and keeps her eyes closed. She will walk and cluck if she sees my dogs but other than that she's stationary.
I separated her and put her in a crate with some mash feed and some water with Flock 911 recovery as well as gave her some Vet Rx just in case. I included some pictures if anyone could help identify what's wrong with her and what I can do to help. Thank you!

Edit: I should mention I witnessed her pass watery diarrhea with specs of feed in it.

Attachments

• 20240708_091710.jpg
    20240708_091710.jpg
    923.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 20240708_091852.jpg
    20240708_091852.jpg
    942 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240708_094340.jpg
    20240708_094340.jpg
    812.7 KB · Views: 7
She looks to be molting, but her back end may have been feather picked. Is her vent damaged or looking normal? Is her crop empty or full, squishy or firm? Can you check her over for lice or mites on her skin? Offer some electrolyte water, Gatorade, or sugar water in case she is dehydrated. Watery chicken feed or cooked egg is good. Has she been laying eggs recently?

She looks to be molting, but her back end may have been feather picked. Is her vent damaged or looking normal? Is her crop empty or full, squishy or firm? Can you check her over for lice or mites on her skin? Offer some electrolyte water, Gatorade, or sugar water in case she is dehydrated. Watery chicken feed or cooked egg is good. Has she been laying eggs recently?
She is definitely molting along with the others her age. Her vent looks normal, no signs of lice or mites. She has been laying eggs normally as far as I'm aware, I have 20 hens so keeping track of who lays what can be difficult. She's been in confinement for about 5 hours now and she has not yet made a bowel movement. I've been able to drop some of the flock 911 water mix into her beak and she weakly pecks at food but other than that she's just sitting in the corner of the cage drifting in and out of sleep. If she doesn't improve I'm going to call the vet. Unfortunately there aren't any avian/farm vets near me so antibiotics are a bit of a reach.

Edit: her crop is empty. It's been almost 24 hours and she hasn't made a bowel movement or laid an egg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom