Sick poult - possible cocci

OoThomioO

Hatching
Jun 18, 2024
This is probably too little too late but would like to learn for the next time. One of our twelve new turkeys (incubated eggs) came down looking sick. Doing some research we figured it was cocci and decided to use the liquid corid at the ratio to gallon water. The little guy started looking better so we tossed him back in with the others (dumb) and put in some vitamins to boost back up his b1's since we thought we're in the clear.

Well the poor guy started back up the next day, so now we started him back on covid but he has no appetite/barely drinking anything. I'm guessing we should have kept him quarantine and on the corid longer (we did 3 days then he perked up) to be sure before blasting the guy with a vitamin'd up water.

If it is cocci, when do you return them to the others? Also what do we do when the little guy wont eat. Poops are pretty much mucus now with such low energy. Anything we have here (electrolyte pack, vitamin pack, any food we find locally) all has thiamine mononitrate which I read to not feed while on Corid.

So I guess this long post is to ask/say I know losing turkeys happens, I just feel bad cause it feels like we failed this little guy instead of nature. Looking to learn from it so any of the eleven left don't become the next victim.

Thanks and sorry for the long post.

This is probably too little too late but would like to learn for the next time. One of our twelve new turkeys (incubated eggs) came down looking sick. Doing some research we figured it was cocci and decided to use the liquid corid at the ratio to gallon water. The little guy started looking better so we tossed him back in with the others (dumb) and put in some vitamins to boost back up his b1's since we thought we're in the clear.

Well the poor guy started back up the next day, so now we started him back on corid but he has no appetite/barely drinking anything. I'm guessing we should have kept him quarantine and on the corid longer (we did 3 days then he perked up) to be sure before blasting the guy with a vitamin'd up water.

If it is cocci, when do you return them to the others? Also what do we do when the little guy wont eat. Poops are pretty much mucus now with such low energy. Anything we have here (electrolyte pack, vitamin pack, any food we find locally) all has thiamine mononitrate which I read to not feed while on Corid.

So I guess this long post is to ask/say I know losing turkeys happens, I just feel bad cause it feels like we failed this little guy instead of nature. Looking to learn from it so any of the eleven left don't become the next victim.

Thanks and sorry for the long post.
If it is cocci, Corid will not do any good. If it is coccidiosis, Corid will work. They are two different things.

If you are using Corid, follow the directions and don't stop before the recommended time has passed.

Corid is a thiamine blocker. If you are giving Corid, you cannot give electrolytes or vitamin B complex while giving Corid.

It still needs a high protein game bird or turkey starter even while being treated with Corid.

Just a friendly reminder on coccidiosis vs cocci

Welcome to BYC, sorry your poult is sick.

1) In Water
Treatment20% Powder9.6% Liquid
For 3-5 days1.5 teaspoons per gallon2 teaspoons per gallon
then for 7-14 days1/3 teaspoon per gallon1/2 teaspoon per gallon

*and*

2) Orally dose

When treating a bird for coccidiosis one can give an oral drench in addition to their medicated water. Here are the instructions:

9.6% liquid - Do not dilute
  • Give 0.1 ml per pound of body weight orally once or twice a day for 1-3 days.
or
  • 0.02 ml per 100 grams of body weight orally once or twice a day for 1-3 days.

20% powder - Mix 1/2 teaspoon powder with 2 teaspoons water.
  • Give 0.34 ml per pound of body weight orally once or twice a day for 1-3 days.
or
  • 0.07 ml per 100 grams of body weight orally once or twice a day for 1-3 days.

The directions above are the same when using any 9.6% liquid or 20% powder. Such products include Amprol, AmproMed, Amprolium 200, Amprid, CocciAid, etc.

Click here to learn how to give medications orally:
Safely Administering Oral Medications to All Poultry and Waterfowl

If it is cocci, Corid will not do any good. If it is coccidiosis, Corid will work. They are two different things.

If you are using Corid, follow the directions and don't stop before the recommended time has passed.

Corid is a thiamine blocker. If you are giving Corid, you cannot give electrolytes or vitamin B complex while giving Corid.

It still needs a high protein game bird or turkey starter even while being treated with Corid.

Just a friendly reminder on coccidiosis vs cocci
You know, I read up on coccidiosis vs cocci and i still default to just saying cocci...fixing that today. I've no way to actually tell what was wrong with the poor guy, but I did notice he had pecked at poop previously so figured it was coccidiosis and started the corid.

My biggest problem is everything seems to have thiamine in it. The high protein crumbs and every single piece of feed we can find locally, all has thiamine in it. He's also not eating anything, tried eggs and his usual feed (has thiamine but figured he needs something to eat), but nothing. Tried to "force" feed him some eggs earlier and all we did was use up the little energy he had.

Welcome to BYC, sorry your poult is sick.

1) In Water
Treatment20% Powder9.6% Liquid
For 3-5 days1.5 teaspoons per gallon2 teaspoons per gallon
then for 7-14 days1/3 teaspoon per gallon1/2 teaspoon per gallon

*and*

2) Orally dose

When treating a bird for coccidiosis one can give an oral drench in addition to their medicated water. Here are the instructions:

9.6% liquid - Do not dilute
  • Give 0.1 ml per pound of body weight orally once or twice a day for 1-3 days.
or
  • 0.02 ml per 100 grams of body weight orally once or twice a day for 1-3 days.

20% powder - Mix 1/2 teaspoon powder with 2 teaspoons water.
  • Give 0.34 ml per pound of body weight orally once or twice a day for 1-3 days.
or
  • 0.07 ml per 100 grams of body weight orally once or twice a day for 1-3 days.

The directions above are the same when using any 9.6% liquid or 20% powder. Such products include Amprol, AmproMed, Amprolium 200, Amprid, CocciAid, etc.

Click here to learn how to give medications orally:
Safely Administering Oral Medications to All Poultry and Waterfowl
I've seen this and follow the ratio via the gallon mixture. Haven't given the poor poult straight corin since the body weight is 50 grams, have just been doing the diluted stuff in the water.

edit: if that needs to change, we'll make it happen.

You know, I read up on coccidiosis vs cocci and i still default to just saying cocci...fixing that today. I've no way to actually tell what was wrong with the poor guy, but I did notice he had pecked at poop previously so figured it was coccidiosis and started the corid.

My biggest problem is everything seems to have thiamine in it. The high protein crumbs and every single piece of feed we can find locally, all has thiamine in it. He's also not eating anything, tried eggs and his usual feed (has thiamine but figured he needs something to eat), but nothing. Tried to "force" feed him some eggs earlier and all we did was use up the little energy he had.
Turkeys need thiamine. That is why it is in all things that are good for them. It is also why long term usage of Corid is not good for turkeys.

I've seen this and follow the ratio via the gallon mixture. Haven't given the poor poult straight corin since the body weight is 50 grams, have just been doing the diluted stuff in the water.

edit: if that needs to change, we'll make it happen.
Do you have the liquid or the powder? If you have the liquid, give it 1-2 drops a day. You should also consider tube feeding it.

Do you have the liquid or the powder? If you have the liquid, give it 1-2 drops a day. You should also consider tube feeding it.
I have the 9.6% liquid solution.

I'm incredibly sorry for asking but I don't see anything turkey specific: What do we tube feed it? Just make a mush of the high protein starter (that has thiamine) and water, then syringe it down?

Also hugely appreciate the responses from both of yall.

Back
Top Bottom