Silkie Walking Funny

Sassysouth

Free Ranging
7 Years
May 12, 2016
Decatur, AL
Here is a week old Silkie. She is the runt and cries most of the time. When I approach the flock, she just sits and cries and eventually runs/walks funny. I have attached 2 videos and need advice on what to do.

Hi.

Sorry your babe is having difficulty. :(

In my experience the ones that cry a lot and are never satisfied, often do not make it very long. Neurological disorder of some sort, I am guessing.

I always try to give them a chance... but honestly I might cull... If breeding were ever in the future, definitely would. But if just pet might try to keep on.

Since she CAN walk and make it to food, I might just try a little scrambled egg. I also tend to crush the crumbles a little extra for the small guys.

For the unhappy guys, making sure their vent isn't pasty is good. Have you been able to check the foot for any deformity? Those are definitely distressed peeps in my experience. And NOT normal. But.. seems like there's gotta be one complainer in the bunch.

Cute baby! :love
Hope it feels better. :fl

I experienced something similar this summer with a chick that I hatched out, he couldn't walk well and wouldn't eat or drink on his own, sadly, he passed :(

I agree with @EggSighted4Life , its probably some kind of neurological disorder.

I hope your chick makes it! Prayers are with you and the chick! :hugs

She did have pasty butt twice earlier in the week, but it has been fine the last few days. I don't see any deformities, but Definitely not growing like the others, despite eating well. It seems like the others have nearly doubled in size and she has barely grown. In the mad dash to the corner when they see me, she gets trampled on.

The farm I got the silkies from, I do remember one chick had splayed legs. Initially she didn't think it did, but removed it so I wouldn't accidentally pick it. This chick could have some leg deformity and something neurological going on.?.

Things happen internally that we can't detect. (one reason to avoid close inbreeding) Hopefully the chick will catch on and recover. If you like try giving some vitamins, it can't hurt and Silkies are susceptible to lot's of stuff.

Options I know of would be Poly vi Sol baby vitamins with NO iron, Poultry Nutri drench (to me this is pricey and doesn't contain the B's which I think are needed except when treating for cocci, though I do have it and use it), or other liquid bird vitamins (I have and use these). Many places will have packs that contain them or electrolytes or even probiotics. I might try the probiotics since that is supposed to help in the digestive tracks. Nothing should be supplemented more than 10 days. These things may or may not help your individual girl, but if given according to directions should not make it worse, and I think can help in general when one is struggling.

Sometimes among large broods it can be harder to detect anomalies, regarding the farm where you got them. Since you are having them as pets, I figure you will be trying to help her out. Raw egg yolk, room temp! Loaded with all the good stuff as quick shot of easy to digest life sustaining nutrients.

Her pasty butt suggest possibly being too warm (maybe she isn't smart enough to move away from the heat, assuming there's room to get away). Or even digestive issues. Which could be genetic, but *might* be food related. You can try crushing it a little or even wetting it. Sometimes either of those can help. Are you feeding starter? Protein level is important. What is yours?

Being trampled can go very wrong very fast. But as long is she is up moving around and eating with them and not sitting around sleeping when everybody else eats... well, sometimes they wait till everyone is asleep and then they're mad nobody is up with them. :p I would only remove her if she is being trampled regularly, and just try not to cause to much of the trampling effect. If they are on the ground or down low and you come from above, they are prey animals and see you swooping in like a hawk. Try approaching low and slow from the side. We raised our brooder up to belly height and it seem to really help.

I would like to say that maybe she's just a girl, hence the smaller size. But that is often just not the case. Though it can be one indicator of gender. :fl

I will try supplements. I never had siblings, but watching her reminds me of an annoying sibling. Always crying, always left behind (and crying), working and pushing her way into the middle of group, all up under everyone, steady crying. And it is loud! I can pick her out from the crowd. She gets around, but has obvious trouble. I don't see the walking getting any better, and has probably gotten worse. I am in no rush to make a permanent decision today, I guess I will continue to watch her for now.

This might be the little snot that gets under your skin and becomes a permanent member... just don't use her for any reproduction purposes. She is a cute little annoying peep!

My one silkie chicken experienced this odd walking too! She would sort of hobble about. It looked nothing like the other chickens (They were Easter Eggers). However, she is perfectly fine now, and fits in just great! I'm not sure if this is the same sort of thing, but I hope it is! Always hope for the best. And if your other chickens aren't silkies, that would explain the growing problem. Silkies are bantams, so they will be about half the size of standard breeds.

I have 5 Bantam Buff Brahmas and 6 Silkies. The brahmas are 3 days older.
She is like a colicky baby with all the crying.

Last edited:
I have 5 Bantam Buff Brahmas and 6 Silkies. The brahmas are 3 days older.

Hmmm.... She definitely seems smaller than her silkie buddies. The walking looks almost identical to what my silkie acted like. (Apart from the fall your silkie every now and then) As for the size, I really don't know. You may want to try taking her to an avian vet if systems worsen or persist. My prayers for you and your baby!

Back
Top Bottom