Silkies help plZ

Greens24

Hatching
Sep 10, 2024
Hi, I breed silkies,well I try to, I hatch my eggs, but can't grow my chicks and I know that sounds crazy but I've done everything, right heat, food,water, Victims, clean area, nice brooder,
It's like they will make it fine a week or 2 then die off, what am I doing wrong.
I have noticed on occasion they'll randomly start gasping

I am so sorry to hear this. :hugs

If they are gasping at that young age, there could be something in the area where you're raising them. Things like Teflon, air fresheners/cleaners, fresh paint, cedar bedding, type of bedding, the heat bulb, something in the water or air, etc. is causing them respiratory or allergy issues. I'd check around the entire area looking for something that may be the problem.

I too breed/hatch silkies. They are put in a brooder with paper towels for a couple of days, 95F temp. Then I change bedding to horse bedding pellets. They get Kalmbach's Flock Maker crumbles, but any chick crumbles are fine. I put some in a small dish and add water to it for a treat.

I use bottled water for the first week. Then mix it 50/50 with our well water for a couple of days, then straight well water from then on.

I really think there's something environmental there and hope you can figure this out so you can continue to raise these beautiful birds!

Oh, and welcome to BYC!

Hi, I breed silkies,well I try to, I hatch my eggs, but can't grow my chicks and I know that sounds crazy but I've done everything, right heat, food,water, Victims, clean area, nice brooder,
It's like they will make it fine a week or 2 then die off, what am I doing wrong.
I have noticed on occasion they'll randomly start gasping
Thank you, I'm trying not to give up,I've never had any problems with my adults it's unfortunately only chicks I just can't figure out

Back
Top Bottom