Silkies???

bountyofbantams

In the Brooder
Sep 28, 2024
I recently bought around 10 silkie chicks from a breeder.. but none are pure silkie as promised, and I'm trying to figure out what my favorite one could be mixed with.
Her/His name is Norm and its a pure white "silkie" with blue skin and feet & black eyes. The only issue is the smooth feathers, it still has the feathered feet and 5 toes on each foot but I received it and it had half of one of the main toes missing..
I still ultimately love this chick and would love to see it thrive but I'd also like to know what exactly I have

Attachments

• 20240928_150952.jpg
    20240928_150952.jpg
    659.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240924_094338.jpg
    20240924_094338.jpg
    476.5 KB · Views: 8
Ooh thats a tough one! Brahama- maybe? Dont take my word for it, there better experts here! Welcome to BYC!
I was thinking either Brahma or Ameraucana tbh.. I just thought itd be a good idea to get some opinions
I'm definitely not upset shes not pure even though I wanted pure, shes just too cute to be upset with 😂
But the real question is, Should I still breed these silkies with my pure silkie? I have a very good quality silkie from a farmers market..
This is Butter, He/She has blue skin and feet, black eyes and perfect 5 toes

Attachments

• 20240927_131644(0).jpg
    20240927_131644(0).jpg
    349.3 KB · Views: 6
maybe a bantam Cochin? Have you contacted the breeder to see what other breeds they keep? that is going to be the best and easiest way to narrow it down
As far as I know they keep cochins, brahmas, ameraucanas, and a ton of other fluffy breeds
This chick grew super fast so I'm not really sure what it could be, shes only 5 weeks old and shes outgrown everyone else besides my jubilee(?) orpington she sold me and labelled as buff..😓

I personally wouldn't unless it is just for you and you don't plan on selling.
Thats what I thought too, I honestly probably wont breed them at all and I'll just spend some more money to get the good silkies from the same breeder I got butter from. Its a shame though, that every silkie I bought turned out to be smooth feathered besides the two black sizzles.. one has 4 toes too..

I was thinking either Brahma or Ameraucana tbh.. I just thought itd be a good idea to get some opinions
I'm definitely not upset shes not pure even though I wanted pure, shes just too cute to be upset with 😂
But the real question is, Should I still breed these silkies with my pure silkie? I have a very good quality silkie from a farmers market..
I dont think it would be that big of a problem, never have breed before.

Unless you get Butter a few pure siblings to hopefully breed with in a few months, you'll be breeding cross-breeds. It's all what your goals are. You just shouldn't do what that seller did to you can try sell them as silkies when they are silkie mixes. Butter's gorgeous.

Buff silkies need another buff to make more buffs, but a buff bred to pretty much any color silkie will make some unknown but pretty colored silkies.

Back
Top Bottom