Slipped tendon, spraddle leg? Something else? Pics!

Chicharron

In the Brooder
Jun 14, 2023
I have a chick that hatched about 24 hours ago that can't walk. She rests on her hocks and attempts to shuffle around but doesn't get far, then faceplants and stays that way, feet out by her head (and sometimes over her head). I noticed her holding both legs tight against her body. I tried to gently pull the legs down and she cheeps as if it hurts her. When I pulled them down she retracts them again in seconds.

The tops of her hocks appear a bit swollen and kind of purple. I tried feeling for slipped tendons and did feel something move in the legs. When I push it back (assume it's the tendon), it just snaps back where it was.

In case it's a deficiency I have been giving liquid B vitamins and sprinkling nutritional yeast on her crumbles. She has eaten a little and drank some water.

This chick was a troubled hatcher - she still hadn't hatched after more than 30 hours of pipping. I had to help her out and now I know why. Does this sound like slipped tendon, spraddle leg, or something else?
IMG_0083.jpg
IMG_0084.jpg
IMG_0086.jpg

I've had two like this. Both I put back in the incubator overnight and one recovered 100% just being left to sleep and age a half a day more.

The other, I used a toothpick tube that she fit perfectly in, butt first with her legs in front of her. I put her standing up in the incubator. She actually seemed to like this and fell asleep. After 8 hours I took her out to get food/water but she still had issues so put her back in overnight. The next day she was fine too. I think all in all, sometimes they just need some extra time to get their feet figured out.

If you think she's really going to need some support, here's a link to a great article for ideas. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...and-caring-for-the-special-needs-chick.72163/

Back
Top Bottom