Spoke to Elanco regarding Elector PSP

Lelilamom

Crowing
11 Years
Feb 28, 2013
So I called and spoke to a veterinarian at Elanco Animal Health regarding Elector PSP. This is the information I received on the product, usage and effectiveness.

In an uncontrolled environment, Elector PSP lasts on a properly sprayed chicken for 5-7 days. This means for birds kept in a non sterile structure (what coop is sterile?!) with access to the outside and other chickens.

There is no benefit to applying Elector PSP at night as opposed to the day. As long as the skin is soaked.

Bugs will die for up to 7 days after application, again in an uncontrolled environment. Reapplication after 7 days is safe, after 14 days it's recommended.

Elector PSP was not tested as a dip so the company cannot legally recommend dipping or dosage in that application. Only fine mist spray was tested.

Elector PSP can be safely applied to healthy chicks. There is no age minimum.

Unopened and properly stored, the shelf life of the product is up to 5 years. Properly stored, opened container will last approx 3 years. The product must be shaken very well if left unused for a long period of time.

Good luck Mite Fighters! It's been a horrible year so far.

So I called and spoke to a veterinarian at Elanco Animal Health regarding Elector PSP. This is the information I received on the product, usage and effectiveness.

In an uncontrolled environment, Elector PSP lasts on a properly sprayed chicken for 5-7 days. This means for birds kept in a non sterile structure (what coop is sterile?!) with access to the outside and other chickens.

There is no benefit to applying Elector PSP at night as opposed to the day. As long as the skin is soaked.

Bugs will die for up to 7 days after application, again in an uncontrolled environment. Reapplication after 7 days is safe, after 14 days it's recommended.

Elector PSP was not tested as a dip so the company cannot legally recommend dipping or dosage in that application. Only fine mist spray was tested.

Elector PSP can be safely applied to healthy chicks. There is no age minimum.

Unopened and properly stored, the shelf life of the product is up to 5 years. Properly stored, opened container will last approx 3 years. The product must be shaken very well if left unused for a long period of time.

Good luck Mite Fighters! It's been a horrible year so far.
So you said as long as the skin is soaked, yet was only tested as a fine mist spray. Is that because lice are only found on the skin and not feathers? So they won't say if the dilution amount differs if you dip instead of spray? Darn, I wish they had tested it as a dip cause spraying each chicken is very time consuming.

So you said as long as the skin is soaked, yet was only tested as a fine mist spray. Is that because lice are only found on the skin and not feathers? So they won't say if the dilution amount differs if you dip instead of spray? Darn, I wish they had tested it as a dip cause spraying each chicken is very time consuming.
That's what they said - as long as you get the fine mist spray on their skin. I asked what the requirements were for testing and the chemist didn't know, it was during R&D and she wasn't in the company at that time. Only that fine mist spray was the only application type that was tested. Another chemist I spoke to at the time reiterated that same information.

My guess is that Lice, Mites, Flies, etc walk on and bite the skin and elector has to get onto the bug's body or in mouth to kill them. According to the folks I spoke to at Elanco, the bug has to touch the substance to be affected. Maybe that's also the reason why the directions specifically state not to use in a fogger. Or maybe that's for respiratory reasons.

Back
Top Bottom