Stick tight fleas?

Jul 22, 2021
I found these little bugs on my kittens ears, they look like fleas but they were attached to her and I had to pluck them off with tweezers and I dropped them in a cup of bleach. I'm not seeing any on my chicken's yet but I've got 35+ birds to inspect and will be scrubbing down the coops and spraying with permethrin anyway but can someone verify if these are stick tight fleas?
IMG_20240723_074056141.jpg
IMG_20240723_090721918.jpg

Stick-tight fleas affect cats too, so that's almost certainly what they would be if they were stuck. Do you have any flea treatments labeled for cats? You cannot use permethrin on cats.

Stick-tight fleas affect cats too, so that's almost certainly what they would be if they were stuck. Do you have any flea treatments labeled for cats? You cannot use permethrin on cats.
I planned to just give the cat a flea bath, is there anything special I need to use for the cat? Permethrin is just for the chicken coops.

A flea bath should work. How old is the kitten?

It can be used on other animals, but not cats. When in doubt, I read the label (I'm really bad about reading labels, lol).
Kitten is between 2-3 months old, her mom is a stray and I'm not sure when she was born, they just showed up about 6 weeks ago and then mom weaned and took off. She weighs 3 lbs 1.5 oz and I just gave her a dose for tapeworm called praziquantel.

I just figured if she's got these fleas it's a good chance the chickens do too since everything I've read says they're more common in poultry, and I haven't treated the flock with anything since last year cause I haven't found anything so I'm gonna get ahead of it before I end up with an infestation.

The cat doesn't have access to the chickens but should I treat the flock for worms too? I haven't seen any worms in there droppings, all I have on hand for the birds is permethrin and ivermectin pour on, not sure what type of wormer they need.

Kitten is between 2-3 months old, her mom is a stray and I'm not sure when she was born, they just showed up about 6 weeks ago and then mom weaned and took off. She weighs 3 lbs 1.5 oz and I just gave her a dose for tapeworm called praziquantel.
Praziquantel is a good idea. Can you give her some cat advantage too?
I just figured if she's got these fleas it's a good chance the chickens do too since everything I've read says they're more common in poultry, and I haven't treated the flock with anything since last year cause I haven't found anything so I'm gonna get ahead of it before I end up with an infestation.
If you can't see them on the chickens, they're probably okay.
The cat doesn't have access to the chickens but should I treat the flock for worms too? I haven't seen any worms in there droppings, all I have on hand for the birds is permethrin and ivermectin pour on, not sure what type of wormer they need.
I wouldn't worry about the chickens.

Most flea and tick treatments are designed to be given to cats and kittens who are 8 weeks of age or older. I had 3 mos old kittens dropped off in our barn a few years ago and the vet put Revolution on them. The stray male that turned up in our barn a few months ago was given Nexgard Combo when we brought him in for vetting. Both meds are for cats and are available for 8 wks or older.

Back
Top Bottom