Stood on week old chick

ggkb27

Hatching
Oct 20, 2024
I feel horrible… I had my week old baby chicks out for a little run around and as I was putting the water back in their brooder I didn’t realise that a bad chook had zoomed over and I accidentally stood on it, 65kg adult….
Poor little chicken kept having its mouth open like it was gasping for air and there was a bit of a gargle sound. I was holding it and it kept falling asleep. I currently have it snuggled on my chest, its breathing went from feeling rapid to more steady. I did get it to have a little bit of water by putting small droplets on its beak. It does chirp really loudly if I move position like it’s alert. But settles very quickly going back to sleep. It’s seems to have strength in its legs but just wants to fall asleep.
Is there anything I should be doing? I really don’t know if it’s going to survive. Hoping the sound of my heart beat is soothing for it.

It felt like I stood on its whole body not any in particular area like leg or wing. It is also a bantam langshan so quite very small.
Tried to give it food but wasn’t interested.

Any help would be appreciated, my dog who is like a nanny to them is very concerned.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    531.7 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    589.7 KB · Views: 10
That is heartbreaking, but it has happened to me once as well. Time will tell if the chick will live, but many times they have internal injuries. I sure hope it makes it. My hen had crossed the road to our corn crib, and sat on eggs for a month, then showed back up with her 7 new baby chicks. In trying to gather the chicks so the hen would come back to the coop, I stepped on one, and it was killed instantly. I felt so terrible, but the chicks were going to be all killed by a predator since the hen had them in a ditch for 24 hours, and wouldn’t bring them back to the coop.

Back
Top Bottom