Strange Chicken Feet ?

PossiblyPekin

In the Brooder
Jun 20, 2024
I recently got a new rooster with scaly legmites, I've treated it, I'm still trying to help his feet recover but — I've never experienced this kind of thing. His feet were in bad shape when I got him. So I gave them a soak for 10 minutes a day and peeled away at the dead skin (I followed instructions from a very helpful YouTube video and from my vet.)

But — his feet look really strange. I've been careful to not peel away at dry tissue. Is this just part of the healing process? I'm still getting around removing the gunk from his nails but it's been extremely tricky. It's like extremely hardened scabs, it's the best way I can explain it.

1000050638.jpg

What do the bottom of the feet look like?
More photos of both feet, the rooster may be helpful.

Are you applying an oil or ointment to the feet after soaking?

Link to the youtube video?
I'll take some images but they look fine at the bottom. Still a little bit of dead skin and debris that need to be soaked off. After gently scrubbing the dead skin off with a soft bristle toothbrush, I add petroleum jelly.

Here's the video I found on YouTube and I'll attach pictures of his feet below!

Attachments

• 20240701_132740.jpg
    20240701_132740.jpg
    407.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240701_132731.jpg
    20240701_132731.jpg
    454.8 KB · Views: 5
I think I would stop picking and scrubbing off the scabs for several days.
A daily clean up in warm water, dry well, then apply your vaseline.

If you have triple antibiotic ointment, I'd be inclined to use that for a few days.

The bottom of the feet are not in great condition, but I would just continue to care for him.

I do believe I would eliminate the epsom salts from the soaking water to see if that helps with healing. The salts can be drying.

I think I would stop picking and scrubbing off the scabs for several days.
A daily clean up in warm water, dry well, then apply your vaseline.

If you have triple antibiotic ointment, I'd be inclined to use that for a few days.

The bottom of the feet are not in great condition, but I would just continue to care for him.

I do believe I would eliminate the epsom salts from the soaking water to see if that helps with healing. The salts can be drying.
Yeah I've been doing everything I can to help his feet. They've come a LONG way. I'll definitely do as you said. Just regular warm soaks and some antibiotic ointment. He's already a lot more mobile and I think the fact that he's jumping the hens now says a lot!

Back
Top Bottom