Turkey Girl

Songster
5 Years
Feb 18, 2019
Hello,
I have been breeding poultry for the past decade, and I have never seen anything like this. I acquired my lines of White Faced Black Spanish, La Fleche, and Crevecour from credible breeders who have been doing this for far longer than I have been. Throughout numerous generations, I have hatched birds with fully black plumage, only with one occasionally having a tiny white tip on a coveret feather. Revently, however, I noticed that many of my grow outs--of all three of these breeds (which have never been mixed together)--are sprouting mass amounts of white feathers on their wings. this also doesn't appear to be something that grows out either, because I have a full grown WFBS cock with the same issue in his feathering. What causes this and how do I fix it? I'm really hoping it isn't a lack of genetic diversity or anything, because these breeds are hard to come by.

Thank you for all your help!

Hello,
I have been breeding poultry for the past decade, and I have never seen anything like this. I acquired my lines of White Faced Black Spanish, La Fleche, and Crevecour from credible breeders who have been doing this for far longer than I have been. Throughout numerous generations, I have hatched birds with fully black plumage, only with one occasionally having a tiny white tip on a coveret feather. Revently, however, I noticed that many of my grow outs--of all three of these breeds (which have never been mixed together)--are sprouting mass amounts of white feathers on their wings. this also doesn't appear to be something that grows out either, because I have a full grown WFBS cock with the same issue in his feathering. What causes this and how do I fix it? I'm really hoping it isn't a lack of genetic diversity or anything, because these breeds are hard to come by.

Are you talking Juveniles, or full grown?

If juvenile it's common for black breeds to have white in the plumage temporarily. It molts out.

If adults, it could be age related, or something else.

Hello,

Pictures please

Are you talking Juveniles, or full grown?

If juvenile it's common for black breeds to have white in the plumage temporarily. It molts out.

If adults, it could be age related, or something else.
The odd thing is, I have a boy who's only a year old, and the white feathers are still there.

Back
Top Bottom