Sunflower, Echinacea seeds?

NancyNurseCxMama

Songster
Jun 1, 2017
Hudson Valley, NY
I have a bunch of sunflower and Echinacea (coneflower) seed heads and was wondering if I could toss them into the run for my girls.
The Echinacea heads look pretty sharp. I know the goldfinches love them but not sure if the sharp seed are okay for chickens.
Yes, I am a newbie, lol.
TIA for any input here.

I have a bunch of sunflower and Echinacea (coneflower) seed heads and was wondering if I could toss them into the run for my girls.
The Echinacea heads look pretty sharp. I know the goldfinches love them but not sure if the sharp seed are okay for chickens.
Yes, I am a newbie, lol.
TIA for any input here.
You are right, those are pointy things. I have never tried to feed mine that, but they probably eat whatever they find free ranging. I was surprised to see a hen swallow a toad one day!

Last year (BC---before chickens) I tossed the seed heads into the brushy wetlands for the birds, squirrels, etc and I think I will do that again with the Echinacea. I would hate to see those seed caught in my girls' throats.
I toss all sorts of stuff into that brush. Last November I through some rotting pumpkins in there and now I have been rewarded with a little free-range pumpkin just in time for Halloween. :D
I leave a lot of my perennials as they are. Love the look of snow on butterfly bush blooms and Russian sage. But the Echinacea are pretty darn crappy looking---getting mildew, too. So they will get hacked down. Many perennials should not be cut down to the ground as the dead top growth can protect the crowns from harsh conditions. It may not look so hotel-neat during the winter but it looks great come Spring!

I usually leave my seed heads, but it depends on the plant, and my energy level. a lot of seed heads/stems hold the snow to help the plant make it through the winter, and the wild birds certainly appreciate the "gone to seeds weedy look"!!!

Back
Top Bottom