Swollen poults foot.

Jun 2, 2024
Hi and thanks for letting me in the group!
I have a 6 week old turkey poult who got its leg stuck in a fence in my building and hung upside down for a period of time a few nights ago. The foot is swollen and has turned purple. The turkey eats and drinks but hobbles really bad.
Any advice given would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 6E72DCA5-7E0E-4648-8736-C9906F656726.jpeg
    6E72DCA5-7E0E-4648-8736-C9906F656726.jpeg
    462 KB · Views: 22
Welcome to BYC, and sorry about the poult’s accident. Unfortunately, I think the foot may be necrotic (dead,) and it may lose the foot eventually. It can take a month or more for it to auto amputate. I would do a daily warm soak in Epsom salts or Betadine water for 15 minutes, just in case. Please give us an update on how it is looking in a few days.

Welcome to BYC, and sorry about the poult’s accident. Unfortunately, I think the foot may be necrotic (dead,) and it may lose the foot eventually. It can take a month or more for it to auto amputate. I would do a daily warm soak in Epsom salts or Betadine water for 15 minutes, just in case. Please give us an update on how it is looking in a few days.
Hi, and thank you for the response. I will continue to soak the foot and hope for the best.

Back
Top Bottom