Pics
Legs met up with the Dark Cornish rooster again while I watched to see what they were going to do. They exchanged words but neither one seem to want to fight in the heat of the day. I left the DC hens out and penned up the 2 DC roosters much to Leg's delight. With his long legs he can out run any hen on the farm.

Legs came to me with that look in his face when he is expecting his daily treat. I got off of the garden tractor and told him to come on with me which he did. He got some fresh whole wheat bread and went on about his business checking the coops and showing off his physique to the hens and intimidating their roosters.

Legs got the water canyon treatment this morning. He was trying to pick a fight with a White Bresse rooster through the coop door. I finally put another layer of hardware cloth between the two of them so they would stop pecking the hardware cloth door. Right now he is working off his breakfast going from coop to coop checking on the girls. There is one coop that has a Delaware hen that swoons over him like a teenage girl does over the lifeguard at the beach.

Legs has learned to come to the front door and talk to us when he wants a treat. We let him in on the vinyl landing where he gets something for good behavior whether or not he is behaving. After his treat he goes out on his own looking for something to do. I really need to get his coop built soon as there are young pullets in a grow pen now which will join him in a few more weeks. He is so large now I want large Dark Cornish girls for his mates.

Another sign that legs has become a rooster now is that he takes a treat and moves over a couple of feet and drops it for hens that he starts calling. Calling in vain right now.

We stopped in at Walmart and bought a loaf of cheap bread for chicken treats. One slice goes a long way with the kids as we make rounds of the coops. No Legs is the exception. He's been known to grab the whole slice and run off with it. He also has been know to eat a whole slice in under 30 seconds. How he can down what he does in such large hunks I don't know. He hasn't come in for a chat lately but maybe tonight I'll have so lap time for him. He will still sit in my lap without trying to go anywhere else inside with me. Outside he wants to eat and run back to the coops where the girls are. I can't get his pullets big enough soon enough for his satisfaction. He's still got a couple of months to wait before the new Dark Cornish girls will be old enough to get acquainted with life in the coop and run with him.

Legs didn't want me to catch him today and in his trying to evade me he jump and started to fly up to the porch railing. Stuck my hands out and it was like catching a shot-put in a catchers mitt. He didn't squawk or throw a fit but he was not happy about having to go to his coop early so the other pens could have some R&R time out on the grass and tilled up dirt.

We have 3 18 month old big Cornish rock hens that we have started turning out of their coop daily now and Legs is loving keeping them company. He returns to his coop at night. I'd sure like to record some of his talk to us when we start making rounds in the afternoon. He can be so funny when he is wanting his afternoon treat. He follows right behind us talking what sounds like a 10 year old boy wanting an ice cream cone. The big hens are laying a few eggs and I am so temped to try and hatch 5 or 6 of them that he should have made fertile.

Back
Top Bottom