Update: did not make it - Thought egg was dead, opened and it's alive, any chance??

Sylver Queen

Crowing
9 Years
Jul 21, 2014
California
I know, I should have known better and I feel completely horrible, but I'm asking for help anyway. Day 23 and I know eggs can go even longer but there is zero sign of movement at any point, large air sac with no pip, and everybody else finished hatching over 24 hours ago. I had kept it in the incubator but with no sign of anything I didn't want to be cooking a deceased chicky in there, so I gently punctured at the air cell, saw movement and wish I had put it straight back but I thought perhaps the chick was malpositioned for pipping and breathing so I tore the membrane but made it bleed. Of course I put it straight back in with a ton of humidity and plenty warm, but I'm wondering if anyone who has made this choice ever had a chick survive.

Thank you for any information!

Can you get a picture?
No good ones I'm afraid because it's in there and I don't want to open it again! It was barely moving when I opened it, clearly not vivacious, but I really really hope I didn't just ruin a viable chick's chances.

Attachments

• PXL_20240512_155849071.jpg
    PXL_20240512_155849071.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 15
They can survive but because of the bleeding they can have problems zipping as they can get stuck due to the blood drying and getting them glued.

Observe closely and when the blood vessels are no longer visible on the membrane and the chick appears to be stuck, gently remove a little bit of the shell for better assessment.

Are you seeing the beak ?
I could only see feathers. That's why I opened the membrane, to let some air in case it was positioned the wrong way. I had it positioned and incubating in the same exact conditions as every other egg but this one was actually an experiment of sorts. I really wanted that breed cross but the egg was abnormally shaped, with the narrow end opposite the air sac about the same circumference as the aur sac side, symmetrical. 🤦‍♀️I will not be trying that again in case that mal positioned the chick.

Last edited:
They can survive but because of the bleeding they can have problems zipping as they can get stuck due to the blood drying and getting them glued.

Observe closely and when the blood vessels are no longer visible on the membrane and the chick appears to be stuck, gently remove a little bit of the shell for better assessment.
Thank you so much for your response! I don't know what went wrong or if it simply needed more time but I've got wet paper towel over the opening to simulate membrane but still room for air to get in, and I'm just going to leave it there until I hear anything or see sign of movement. I don't want to rush it if it's just way behind! I will do as you suggest, thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom