Top hen getting attacked by two in the flock

Cbuschickens

In the Brooder
Sep 12, 2024
A few days ago I noticed my boss hen was roosting in the coop in the middle of the day by herself. I investigated and found her comb bloody. I cleaned it up and let her back in but then she was immediately attacked by two other hens. They jumped on her back and pecked at her comb. Now I don't know if they are pecking at it because it's bloody or if they caused it to bleed in the first place. My other hens in the flock don't pay the injured one any mind. My coop is attached to the run so during the day I have the injured hen in the coop with the door most of the way shut so the chickens can all still see each other. I don't know what to do now. Do I keep the injured one separate until her wounds are all healed up in case that's why she's getting attacked? Do I put them back together and let them duke it out? If the other hens are the reason she's injured what would have caused two out of my nine hens to suddenly attack the hen at the top of the pecking order?

Hi @Cbuschickens and :welcome! I am sorry no one has answered your post yet. I would clean your injured hen's comb, maybe put some blue-kote on it, and separate the two offenders. Put them in jail for a couple days and see if that brings them to their senses. You may want to invest in pinless peepers to help block their view of the bullied bird. Hope this helps!

There are two bullies now and they are both the same age as the injured hen (4 years). We introduced 5 5 month old pullets about 2 months ago. My husband made the coop to fit 12 hens comfortably but he said the run was admittedly better for only 8 hens and we have a total of 9 with the new pullets. I have tried letting them free range in my backyard together but when the bullies catch sight of the injured one they chase her down until she can jump onto something high up (people heads are fair game) which makes me think it's not room in the run. Maybe? I've had her separated in the coop with the door to the coop cracked enough for a chicken head to poke through so they can still see each other. Don't know if that's the right thing. The injured one's comb is almost healed and just has a small scab but they still chase her and peck her head.

I had this happen for the first time in close to 20 years. A coyote took out the two bullies (I don't recommend). But immediately peace came back.

Some birds can tolerate over crowding and some are very sensitive to it. With the pullets just coming to adult size, what was enough space may not be enough space.

How does your flock act with the victim gone? If they get along, sell the victim or cull.

Well, new development. Injured hen may have a fever. Her comb where the original injury was doesn't look inflamed or infected. I went out to check on her before sunset and she was on the roost but panting and holding her wings away from her body. I felt her legs and they were noticably hot. I watched her eat vigorously do she may not have been eating or drinking due to pressure from other birds since I wasn't home to separate them today. What am I gonna do with this dang bird!

I really don't think you should keep all of them. Pick either the bully or the victim, but someone needs to leave for the peace in the flock. Now one tends to think that all this aggression is only bothering the victim, but that is not true. That aggression bothers every bird in the flock, and it bothers you. You have to solve (or should) for peace in the flock.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I think we're going to remove the two bullies from the flock. They will all be 5 years old next year anyway and haven't laid any eggs in a month now while the injured hen is still laying every other day.

Back
Top Bottom