Traumatized baby chick?

LittleRando

In the Brooder
Jun 17, 2024
So in my last post I posted about my Boyfriends chickens and how I have one new chick, this chick survived a dog attack that destroyed her coop and sadly she was the only one who made it. Shes sadly too old to really see me as her mom like Sprout did, but the only thing I'm struggling with is she hates being picked up, she's scared of anyone reaching at her! I was wondering if there was anything I can do to help her, we thought she might warm up a bit but she hasn't and I would like for it to be easier for her! Shes not injured but we suspect she got picked up by one of the dogs cause the end of he feathers we're matted but she doesn't have any cuts, scars or anything! They're both about a month and a half old! Thank for reading! ^^
(And have a happy Halloween!:pop)

Alrighty! She comes over for food and will even peck ot out of your mouth (she has before) but she is a bit hesitant! I'll try and stay more at eye level with her!

Try feeding her by hand, a special treat of some type. Or.... this is going to sound ridiculous, hold her for a long time. I had a young, grown chicken that wouldn't let me near her, so I picked her up when she was distracted and carried her as I went about my chores. She eats out of my hand now and has no problem being near me.

Try feeding her by hand, a special treat of some type. Or.... this is going to sound ridiculous, hold her for a long time. I had a young, grown chicken that wouldn't let me near her, so I picked her up when she was distracted and carried her as I went about my chores. She eats out of my hand now and has no problem being near me.
Alrighty! I'll make sure I do that thank you!

Definitely hand feeding treats.

Also if she's still small sit on the ground and sprinkle some kind of treats on your pant legs and let her walk on you. I've done that with all the chicks I've raised. Some will still jump in my lap or on my shoulder now that they are grown. They are all really comfortable around me and will lean into my legs when standing near me.

The down side is that a few of them think I have magic pants that always have mealworms or other treats on them and they grab my pant legs looking for food. LOL

Back
Top Bottom