Turkey poult with a twisted leg

Oct 8, 2024
Hello
I bought my first baby turkey about a week ago. She has been very energetic and active. Yesterday when I took her out I noticed she had a twisted leg. We put her in a sort of leg brace thinking maybe it was splay leg but it's almost like her knee is bending inward. Yesterday she had electrolytes and tonight I gave her some vitamin b 12. I have never dealt with a slipped tendon but we did try and see if that was the problem and don't think it is. Does anyone have any thoughts on what could be wrong with her? I plan on trying to find a vet to see her tomorrow but I am not sure if they will.

Hello
I bought my first baby turkey about a week ago. She has been very energetic and active. Yesterday when I took her out I noticed she had a twisted leg. We put her in a sort of leg brace thinking maybe it was splay leg but it's almost like her knee is bending inward. Yesterday she had electrolytes and tonight I gave her some vitamin b 12. I have never dealt with a slipped tendon but we did try and see if that was the problem and don't think it is. Does anyone have any thoughts on what could be wrong with her? I plan on trying to find a vet to see her tomorrow but I am not sure if they will.
If it is a slipped tendon, you have to extend the leg fully to be able to manipulate the tendon back into the groove in the back of the hock. If you can get the tendon back in place, you need to fashion a brace that will keep it in place and then tape that onto the leg. If you can't get the tendon back into place, nothing will fix it.

Improper feed can make the situation worse. Poults need the higher levels of protein, lysine, methionine and niacin found in a proper turkey or game bird starter feed for proper development.

Back
Top Bottom