Unknown predator- Please help!

dottsrocks

In the Brooder
Jan 13, 2021
Hello! We live surrounded my forest and obviously have had our fair share with predators like fox, mink, and coyotes. But recently, something very strange has been happening. Our coop is very secure, no digging hole acess, and we have thick plastic netting that overs the top of the outdoor area. The only portion that is not covered is a about a foot portion above our 7+ foot wooden pen door. There is virtually no acess points otherwise! Today we found that two of our ducks were missing, and our rooster was killed right in front of the door. There was blood all over the pen door, but no scratches or claw marks at all! We are very sad and confused as to what animal caused this? As we have had our chickens like this for 5 years and nothing of the sorts has ever happened. Please let us know your thoughts as to what this may be!!!!

Sorry for your losses! Could it be raccoons?

Sorry for your losses! Could it be raccoons?
Thank you! And iโ€™m not sure, weโ€™ve never seen them around, but that certainly doesnโ€™t mean they arenโ€™t there. Just confused how there is no claw marks if whatever it was dragged it up the wood door!!

Thank you! And iโ€™m not sure, weโ€™ve never seen them around, but that certainly doesnโ€™t mean they arenโ€™t there. Just confused how there is no claw marks if whatever it was dragged it up the wood door!!
Raccoons can be very smart. It could be one I just assume you may have them since you live. Near a forest .
Could you set up a camera maybe? To see if you can see what is doing this?

First thought for me was raccoons. There is a reason they wear masks! Different animals have different ways of killing and eating their prey. That might help narrow down your suspects.

For your info, here is something I found online about a raccoon attack...

1721621720734.png

Does anything there sound like your attack?

In any case, once a predator finds an easy meal, they most likely will return for more. Harden your defenses as fast as possible. Remember, chicken wire is meant to keep chickens in. It is not meant to keep predators out. Raccoons have no problem ripping through chicken wire.

Back
Top Bottom