Using Broody Plate for Injured Chick?

Anon112

Songster
6 Years
Apr 15, 2018
Mid-Atlantic/East Coast
While this is related to my more specific thread about my chick who was attacked, I am generally interested to know if using a broody plate to keep an animal that is injured/in shock warm is a good idea.

I do not have a dryer that I can use to warm up towels.

I didn’t see your other thread so I don’t know where the injuries were, but as long as she is not injured on her back a brooder plate will work and help give her a calm dark place to recover. Brooder plates heat through contact when they put their backs against it.

I didn’t see your other thread so I don’t know where the injuries were, but as long as she is not injured on her back a brooder plate will work and help give her a calm dark place to recover. Brooder plates heat through contact when they put their backs against it.

She's beat up pretty badly (https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...cked-by-flock-member-rough-condition.1630479/), but I don't see any injuries to her back. So should I have the plate really low over her? I was worried about the possibility of over-heating her if I put it too low. It's currently about 4 inches over her. (She is laying and cannot stand).

She's beat up pretty badly (https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...cked-by-flock-member-rough-condition.1630479/), but I don't see any injuries to her back. So should I have the plate really low over her? I was worried about the possibility of over-heating her if I put it too low. It's currently about 4 inches over her. (She is laying and cannot stand)
Set the heating plate at an angle. Set the back legs low enough to the ground that it can touch her back and the front legs around 2” higher than the back. She will adjust her heat on her own.

Set the heating plate at an angle. Set the back legs low enough to the ground that it can touch her back and the front legs around 2” higher than the back. She will adjust her heat on her own.

Okay, thank you. She's in really bad shape and I'm not sure how much she can move (I don't see her surviving this, but want to give her the best chance.). I'll try angling the plate so she's getting some more direct warmth.

Back
Top Bottom