Vaulted Skull?!?! Please help

SilkiesForEver

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 24, 2012

Its soft and squishy but it doesn't flop around on her head.
I have never hatched a chick with vaulted skull so I don't know much about it.
hu.gif

I really don't want to cull her, so any advise?
fl.gif

Oh, poop.
I've seen this once with one of our piglets. The skull didn't fuse properly and it had this bulge on it's head. I flew into such a panic I phoned both out town's vets! They both came and one of them euthanised it. Said there wasn't anything they could do and though not life-threatening, it was a risky condition, as a bump could rupture the bulge and kill the pig.
I don't know what to suggest you do with your chick. It's up to you if you want to cull it, which may be better for it, or wait and see.

I would kill the bird immediately. I know it sucks... I hate culling my turkey poults that are deformed, but it is what is best for everyone involved. Perhaps others would do something differently, but I would cull immediately.

She is almost completely fluffy and is doing great!
thumbsup.gif
I have named her Polly.
smile.png
She is walking around in the incubator and does not seem to be affected by the "bulge" at all. She also has the loudest cheep I have ever heard!
jumpy.gif

While we were out at a book sale another chick hatched. She is black and is perfectly healthy.
I am not going to cull Polly, I have never culled and don't wish to start with her. I'm sorry, I just don't believe she needs to be killed.
My camera battery is charging but, when its done I'll go take some pictures of them.
smile.png

Last edited:
That is one vaulted bird! There could be some fluid accumulation from rubbing against the egg shell internally. I never cull a bird that's acting normally no matter what they look like. Waiting on pics!

Polly is a Silkie, correct? Silkies come with or without vaulted skulls. The general belief is the vault makes their crest bigger. Don't cull her, she's a normal Silkie babe. Good luck, she's cute as a button!

That's really interesting. And good news! She's absolutely adorable
love.gif

I don't know what happened.....
hit.gif
Polly died around twelve o'clock.
hit.gif
She was acting normal just yesterday. Agh..... I can't tell you how sad I am...
hit.gif
I really wanted her to make it....
I am sitting on the computer with chick number eight in my lap.......a little yellow/golden baby......she looks just like Polly.
sad.png

We had a great rate, eight out of eight hatched and seven out of eight are doing very well.
Me and my mom are going to bury Polly soon.

I don't know what happened.....
hit.gif
Polly died around twelve o'clock.
hit.gif
She was acting normal just yesterday. Agh..... I can't tell you how sad I am...
hit.gif
I really wanted her to make it....
I am sitting on the computer with chick number eight in my lap.......a little yellow/golden baby......she looks just like Polly.
sad.png

We had a great rate, eight out of eight hatched and seven out of eight are doing very well.
Me and my mom are going to bury Polly soon.

Sorry about Polly :(

Back
Top Bottom