Very unbalanced 1 yr rooster

Jul 2, 2024
Hi all ,
Needing some advice, I have a very unbalanced rooster, to the point he is almost doing the splits. And saw him today stuck on his back so I had to put him back on his feet. He doesn't move much unless he absolutely has to. I have to put feed and water right infronf of him for his to drink and eat. His poo is Solid, but forest green with some white.
I've been giving him vitamins and electrolytes (day 3 of vitamins) but his symptoms are not improving. Just wondering what else could cause this other than vitamin deficiency. He's a silkie roo.

Welcome To BYC

Can you post photos of your rooster and his poop?

How old is he?

What do you feed, including treats?

Have you ever dewormed him or treated for Coccidiosis? Do you have any medications, dewormers or antibiotics on hand? If you do, what do you have?

Doing the splits and being found on his back sounds like he may have something neurological going on. Hard to know the cause, Marek's disease comes to mind.

I would start him on vitamin therapy of 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily along with a treat of egg to help with the uptake of E. You can find the vitamins in stores like Walmart, CVS, or online.

Do look him over for lice/mites and see that his crop is emptying.

He's about 1 yr old. We feed normal laying mash feed from feed store, and treats vary from fruits to veggies that are safe. I always look up what veggies and fruits are safe
How do I know if crop is emptying what am I feeling for?
No I have no dewormed him, or treated for coissidios because I have not seen any worms in poo, and years back when one of my hens had cossidiosis there was blood in stool and she was very lethargic and puffed up. He doesn't have any blood in stool. And he's not really lethargic he just physically cannot get around.

Also he is receiving right now vitamin E but I will get him some vitamin B. Can I crush it up and put on a scrambled egg? (I don't know if he'll eat) he was eating fine but now he's so unbalanced has a hard time. I will take video of his movements this evening, also poop is forest green but solid. But small...
1000010542.jpg

Welcome To BYC

Can you post photos of your rooster and his poop?

How old is he?

What do you feed, including treats?

Have you ever dewormed him or treated for Coccidiosis? Do you have any medications, dewormers or antibiotics on hand? If you do, what do you have?

Doing the splits and being found on his back sounds like he may have something neurological going on. Hard to know the cause, Marek's disease comes to mind.

I would start him on vitamin therapy of 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily along with a treat of egg to help with the uptake of E. You can find the vitamins in stores like Walmart, CVS, or online.

Do look him over for lice/mites and see that his crop is emptying.

The crop is on the right side of the breast. Feel of it tonight, then first thing in the morning before he's had anything to eat or drink. It should be empty or flat in the mornings.

If it's not emptying, let me know.

There are 9 strains of Coccidia that affect poultry, only 2 (iirc) present with blood in the poop.
Rarely would you see worms in poop unless there's a heavy infestation.
If you have a vet that can run a fecal float, this will tell you if worms and/or Coccidiosis are a problem.

1720025371958.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom