Waddles starting to noticeably turn brighter, more red...could i be close to my first egg?

Krist10

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2024
South of DFW
Ive notice the combs waddles on a few of my chickens really starting to brighten up. Its my 2 gold sexlinks, welsummer, and my CCL. By my estimations ( I dont know anyones exact hatch date) they could be laying with in this month. How soon after this reddinging do they start to lay?

1.) Should I go ahead and open the nesting boxes (they have been blocke to avoid them pooping and sleeping in them) and get them ready with bedding?

2.) They are still on DuMor chick starter and grower feed. They are not free range. They do get meal worms once, maybe twice a week. Should I change feed now? I have a couple of roosters and some younger chicks. My flock ranges in age from 10.5 weeks to almost 18 weeks right now... so do I go with a whole flock feed and offer oyster shells?

Anything else you would reccomend as they start laying? I am so excited!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1412.jpeg
    IMG_1412.jpeg
    493.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1414.jpeg
    IMG_1414.jpeg
    582.5 KB · Views: 14
From the pictures, looks like they still have a ways to go for laying. That said, they are all large enough to eat all-flock pellets. I'd finish off your current chick feed and then switch. Be sure to mix the two feeds for a few days to transition them over.

Don't bother with the oyster shell until you have some actually laying and be sure the OS is "on the side" so only the active layers will eat it.

Suggestion: Please add your general location to your profile. Although it isn't important for this thread, many answers vary depending on location, climate, etc.

Last edited:
From the pictures, looks like they still have a ways to go for laying. That said, they are all large enough to eat all-flock pellets. I'd finish off your current chick feed and then switch. Be sure to mix the two feeds for a few days to transition them over.

Don't both with the oyster shell until you have some actually laying and be sure the OS is "on the side" so only the active layers will eat it.

Suggestion: Please add your general location to your profile. Although it isn't important for this thread, many answers vary depending on location, climate, etc.
Will do! Thanks so much for your response!

It wouldn't hurt to have oyster shells out, Sometimes a pullet will eat some before they start up. If they don't need it, they won't eat it so it wouldn't hurt anything and might possibly be helpful to have it out

Still probably a while, as they're reddening but not plumping up yet.

Yes I would open the nest boxes now (and have fake eggs in there) so they can explore the boxes and figure out what the purpose is ahead of time.

As far as feed, either option is fine. All flock is fine for all ages so use whatever feed fits your needs.

As I have a mixed age flock oyster shell is always available. Chicks, not-yet-laying pullets and roosters might sample it but instinctively shouldn't want to eat it.

Back
Top Bottom