What are these black seed spots on Zeus' comb?

I guess it could be fowl pox although it's a little unusual. Pecking seems a likely cause. They can get favus which is a fungal infection, but I actually don't know what it looks like.

You don't actually have to treat fowl pox. It is a virus carried by mosquitos. It will last 3 weeks then suddenly disappear, and they will be immune for the rest of their life. Once in a while, large spots can get a secondary infection and benefit form Neosporin, and occasionally it gets in their throat, which is dangerous but unusual. You can treat favus with ordinary athlete's foot creams of ointments.

Hi Montanadolphin, My turkeys had fowl pox and it looked a bit different to what is shown in your pics. It almost looks like tiny drops of dried blood, probably from pecking or being caught on something. However, I'm not an expert, just through my own experiences with my birds. Do they seem well otherwise?

They are perfectly normal to see on a rooster comb, I think they are caused by gnat bites etc. I put VetRX on my roosters combs & waddles to oil them When they get dry or get a lot of little bites on them. Its sold at Tractor Supply & has a lot of uses but moisturizing & protecting combs is my favorite use for it.

a bunch of my girls recently had this. it thought it was dirt. there deer ticks. buy frontline and put a couple drops on them. look up the info on here on how much. a chicken breeder friend of mine said its perfectly fine for them. the dots disappeared over night.

a bunch of my girls recently had this. it thought it was dirt. there deer ticks. buy frontline and put a couple drops on them. look up the info on here on how much. a chicken breeder friend of mine said its perfectly fine for them. the dots disappeared over night.
it's not ticks. we call what you're talking about "seed" ticks here...they are tick babies. I thought that at first but trust me, it's not...i pull seed ticks off myself and my children often...it's one of the curses from living out in the woods.

Back
Top Bottom