What breed/hybrid is this and how do I recreate it?

RememberTheWay

Songster
Apr 7, 2022
*Photo was sent to me by a Poultry scammer- I dropped all the images into Google lens when the conversation seemed to be wonky and found them all over the place on other farm pages, several eBay and Craigslist ads, etc.

But I am quite curious about the lavender crested bird in the photo as it is a different breed then the one I was originally inquiring about (Ameraucana's)

Does anyone know what it might be and if it is a hybrid of some sort or a non recognized variety of a purebred can someone tell me how I could breed them?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240705-143217.png
    Screenshot_20240705-143217.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 64
that's a lavender Araucana - one of the breeds that went into the Ameraucana, and the one responsible for bringing in the blue egg shell gene. Edited to add: my matriarch is one, photo below
Edited again to add, seeing your other thread about being missold birds, the Araucana is technically large fowl but at the small end of the scale, not much bigger than bantam. So maybe if you can source some, you might want to consider going forward with Araucanas rather than Ameraucanas? They come in lavender and black commonly.

Attachments

• Maria 24.JPG
    Maria 24.JPG
    706.9 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
That is what people call an "Araucana" . . . which is not actually a real Araucana. Real Araucanas originated from Chile and they are rumpless, with tufts. That means that they have no tail, no crest, no beard, no muffs. There is a type of "Araucana" called the British Tailed type. This "variety of Araucana" has a tail, beard, muffs, and no tufts. Do I believe it is right to almost totally change the appearance of a breed and call it by the same name when it looks almost totally different? No. It gets confusing and that is not how making color varieties or a new breed work. So the picture of the lavender chicken in your post is one of those so-called "British Tailed Araucana."

To be fair, from my understanding, the reason why our Araucanas and the European standard ones differ is because of infighting within the clubs on our side of the pond and them not being able to agree which bird should be standardized, not because of Europeans deciding to slap the name on something different. Ours went from everything that laid a blue egg being called Araucanas to only the rumpless and tufted version being called Araucanas and the bearded and tailed branching off as Ameraucanas, the 'American Araucana' if you will. The Europeans opted to just standardize one of them and stuck with the birds that don't have inherent issues with breeding like our tailless and tufted Araucanas have. This, again, was back when anything blue-egging was referred to as an Araucana, so they weren't necessarily wrong to do so and call it an Araucana.

For the record, I believe OP is on our side of the pond. I don't think we have the tailed Araucanas of Europe here, at least none that I've ever seen. Any time I've ever seen someone claim to have them, they're pretty blatantly Polish mixes or something to that effect. So if someone States side is claiming to have those birds, that's already suspect in and of itself, at least to me anyway.

Last edited:
To be fair, from my understanding, the reason why our Araucanas and the European standard ones differ is because of infighting within the clubs on our side of the pond and them not being able to agree which bird should be standardized, not because of Europeans deciding to slap the name on something different. Ours went from everything that laid a blue egg being called Araucanas to only the rumpless and tufted version being called Araucanas and the bearded and tailed branching off as Ameraucanas, the 'American Araucana' if you will. The Europeans opted to just standardize one of them and stuck with the birds that don't have inherent issues with breeding like our tailless and tufted Araucanas have. This, again, was back when anything blue-egging was referred to as an Araucana, so they weren't necessarily wrong to do so and call it an Araucana.

For the record, I believe OP is on our side of the pond. I don't think we have the tailed Araucanas of Europe here, at least none that I've ever seen. Any time I've ever seen someone claim to have them, they're pretty blatantly Polish mixes or something to that effect. So if someone States side is claiming to have those birds, that's already suspect in and of itself, at least to me anyway.
I just find the whole thing weird. That would be like me making a breed with a crest, muffs and beard, a slender body, clean legs, and then calling it a Cochin. :gig

Yes- I'm I the states. Tennessee actually.

And I quite like the look of the crest on those birds. I'm not a fan of ear Tufts on the araucana's plus with the breeding issues it's just doesn't make sense for me personally.

That makes more sense with the name thing and the unable to come to agreements on standards then them just deciding to name a bird completely different the same name. I think though If it were me I would probably push for a name change just because they are so vastly different. BUT at the same time it is probably mostly a non issue since it's two separate countries. do we have international shows for poultry?

Could be a polish or legbar mix. The one with the black bird in the foreground is either a bearded polish or polish mix. I am not aware of polish coming in the lavender color but as popular a color as it is I wouldn't be surprised if someone was working on it. Could also be a very pale blue or splash.

When I click on the picture with the black bird I can click on the next Pic arrow and the second picture shows a lavender or blue bird with a less prominent crest. That one looks like a legbar cross.

Probably easiest way to get a similar crested, bearded, lavender bird would be to cross lavender ameraucana and opal legbar. Lavender ameraucana rooster over opal legbar hen would give you lavender pullets and barred lavender cockerels. Opal legbar rooster over lavender ameraucana hens will give you all barred lavender chicks. Because lavender is so light, you may or may not be able to see headspots on the barred chicks.

If you wanted the big poofy crest that can cover the eyes you'd probably want to cross black or white crested black polish with lavender ameraucana. That will give you black chicks that carry the recessive gene (split) for lavender. Breed those chicks to each other and you should get about 50% lavender chicks. Or breed the chicks to lavender ameraucana which should give you 50% lavender and 50% black split to lavender.

Back
Top Bottom