What breed of chicken is this?

HatsuneMiku

In the Brooder
Jul 24, 2024
Hello, I was wondering what type of chicken this could be! We bought her at a Family Farm and Home and she was in with the Sapphire Splashes, but I don't think she is one due to her being blavk with some red on the neck and her cheek feathers. Any information will help :3

Attachments

• 20240724_201905.jpg
    20240724_201905.jpg
    645.7 KB · Views: 52
Hello, I was wondering what type of chicken this could be! We bought her at a Family Farm and Home and she was in with the Sapphire Splashes, but I don't think she is one due to her being blavk with some red on the neck and her cheek feathers. Any information will help :3
Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

This "egg color reference chart" image is from google images and put out by The Ameraucana Breeders Club.. having bred true Ameraucana for a very short period.. despite popular belief, blue eggs genetics is complex and includes many shades which might be a bit greenish..

1721870736614.png

The pic almost looks pure for Ameraucana. However.. the red leakage you describe on her neck and cheek feathers will make her not conforming to the Ameraucana standard of perfection.. therefore Easter Egger or other hybrid Egger of sorts is most likely. Sometimes Easter Eggers are really fun birds!

There's no reason for any of us on here that know the difference to perpetuate the AmerIcana crud the hatcheries push.. which have no standard of perfection, can have any comb, be bearded or non, etc. and might even lay brown or cream colored eggs. (I don't mean any toe stepping here towards other posters and very sorry if it comes off that way.) :oops:

When I zoom in and lighten the picture on my screen.. she's also got lacing on her chest. What a cute bird! 🥰

Could be an Easter Egger, possibly an Ameracauna mixed with a Black Copper Maran.
she's also got lacing on her chest
Oddly enough, I have had Black Copper Maran mixes (Mixed with a Buckeye) with lacing on their chests. Quite unexpected. I have also gotten one with a Birchen patterning.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

This "egg color reference chart" image is from google images and put out by The Ameraucana Breeders Club.. having bred true Ameraucana for a very short period.. despite popular belief, blue eggs genetics is complex and includes many shades which might be a bit greenish..

View attachment 3900382
The pic almost looks pure for Ameraucana. However.. the red leakage you describe on her neck and cheek feathers will make her not conforming to the Ameraucana standard of perfection.. therefore Easter Egger or other hybrid Egger of sorts is most likely. Sometimes Easter Eggers are really fun birds!

There's no reason for any of us on here that know the difference to perpetuate the AmerIcana crud the hatcheries push.. which have no standard of perfection, can have any comb, be bearded or non, etc. and might even lay brown or cream colored eggs. (I don't mean any toe stepping here towards other posters and very sorry if it comes off that way.) :oops:

When I zoom in and lighten the picture on my screen.. she's also got lacing on her chest. What a cute bird! 🥰
Thank you! This is very helpful to me and I actually realized I have two of them! One black that was in the photo and the other grey and colored like a lighter sapphire splash!

Thank you! This is very helpful to me and I actually realized I have two of them! One black that was in the photo and the other grey and colored like a lighter sapphire splash!
Usually "grey" is technically blue (sometimes possibly lavender depending on shade, though it's different genes).. blue is one copy of dilute and splash being 2 copies of the diluter gene. Lavender is recessive and therefore takes 2 copies or will display as black. Example of BBS from google images..
1722013914910.png

Since Splash is just a color.. it's possible they substituted any other color of "Sapphire Gem" into that shipment or even some other bird. The farm store would have no way of knowing this.

Looking at Hoover's pictures and descriptions of both the Sapphire splash and Gems in the following links.. They don't look beareded and they have straight combs.. Straight comb being recessive to all other types and the hatchery would know that and still list them as straight.

https://www.hoovershatchery.com/sapphiresplash.html

https://www.hoovershatchery.com/sapphiregem.html

With the newer information presented here.. Like you, I doubt the sapphire splash label and still lean more toward Egger. Is your lighter gal bearded and does she also have a pea comb? It'll be exciting to see what color egg they lay! I love a good little mystery. :pop

Back
Top Bottom