What happened in this guinea fowl interaction???

lengel

Songster
11 Years
Apr 30, 2008
MA
We raised our first batch of guinea fowl last year without realizing that they would be able to fly so high so young with the end result that they wound up in the trees almost immediately. Over the course of the year, all but one was killed or just disappeared. Then we got a complaint about our remaining bird, Mo, and had to pen her. It took a while but we got her in there and that's been the case for a couple of months now.

My first thought was to get her some buddies. Two weeks ago we picked up five more keets and today I took one out to say hello.

Let's just say that Mo's response was less than positive. She acted as if she was about to be attacked. I know that guinea fowl can be aggressive and territorial but this thing is still pretty tiny (it was in a carrier). Didn't seem to matter. She freaked and banged against the other side of the enclosure so I just took the keet back inside.

What's going to happen when I try to introduce them in six weeks? Clearly I'll need a separate pen at first. Will I ever be able to integrate them though?

This web site has a lot of good information on raising Guineas. I hope you find it helpful, I know I sure have. I knew nothing about them when I decided to buy my 1st keats last year, this site has really helped me alot.

http://www.guineafowl.com/fritsfarm/guineas/

Time and patience and I am sure your hen will accept the new keats. Guineas dont adapt to change really quickly. When I put the nesting box on the floor for the hens..they were too scared to go back in the coop...till I took it back out.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom