Depluming mites? Help please

chrissilini

Chirping
Jan 11, 2020
New Hampshire
In January I posted about some feather loss in a couple of my hens. It was thought that it was probably from over mating. I removed the rooster and things seemed to settle down but recently I’ve noticed that a couple of my other hens are showing sings of feather damage. Tail and wing feathers look damaged. While I don’t see any crawlers on them, I’m not convinced they aren’t there. Depluming mites?

How do I treat? I’ve looked online and there are so many ‘suggestions’. Figured it would be best to ask you all.

They are fed Blue Seal layer pellet and occasional fruit and veg for treats. They are layer fine, no decrease in production and are a year old.

Attachments

• IMG_2640.jpeg
    IMG_2640.jpeg
    495 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2645.jpeg
    IMG_2645.jpeg
    470.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2646.jpeg
    IMG_2646.jpeg
    584.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2647.jpeg
    IMG_2647.jpeg
    820.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2641.jpeg
    IMG_2641.jpeg
    339.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2644.jpeg
    IMG_2644.jpeg
    433.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2639.jpeg
    IMG_2639.jpeg
    578.7 KB · Views: 11
It may be feather picking. When are they due to be molting? Check for lice or mites. How much room do they have? Boredom, not getting out to free range, unbalanced food or too little protein in the diet, too much light in the coop or nest boxes, roosts too close to one another are all possible reasons for picking. Once feathers are gone, especially from over mating, they won’t grow back until the next molt. Watch for a bully, and sometimes pinless peepers may be used on one feather picker. Depluming mites are not that common, and feathers have a raggedy appearance. Ivermectin pour on which is expensive, can treat them.

Back
Top Bottom