Cielito

In the Brooder
Aug 9, 2024
Hello, I bought this rooster as a white (ermine split) ameraucana from a local breeder however, after more research I learned ameraucanas are supposed to have slate colored legs. My rooster has white legs and bottoms of feet (and weirdly a slate colored spot on leg), does this mean he is an Easter egger and not an ameraucana?

Another question, If I were to put him with a splash ameraucana and lavender Orpington what kind and/or color of chicks should I expect? I believe he is a dominant white rooster, a little over 3 months old. I also included some young pictures of him, please let me know what you think.

Thank you!

IMG_7557.jpeg
IMG_7555.jpeg
IMG_7566.jpeg
IMG_7567.jpeg
IMG_7564.jpeg
IMG_7561.jpeg
IMG_7560.jpeg
IMG_7559.jpeg

Black Ameraucanas have 0 copies of dominant white, paints “ermine” have 1, and white has two.
Dominant white bleaches the leg color.
He still has the slate gene, but it is being bleached by the dominant white gene. He is a true Ameraucana and can be used for breeding but cannot be shown.

He is a pure Ameraucana. Although the ermine color is not currently recognized, breeders are working on that (groups on FB if you want to find out more).
The white legs are to be expected with the dominant white gene in play. Fully ermine have more slate areas on the legs but lots of white spots also.

As for what you would get with a splash hen, a few colors may pop up including black ermine, blue ermine, fully black, or fully blue.
With a lavender hen, you would get black split to lavender (not visible), they may be ermine or fully black.

Back
Top Bottom