Why is my female turkey more interested in me then the tom

RJ 2 dope

Hatching
Sep 26, 2024
These are my first two turkeys, a gift for me from my dad. I'm sure it's mating season (my chickens already had they're chicks) I think we got the turkeys around April 20th of this year, so they're around 5 - 6 months old. A turkey is only sexually mature after a year, but my Tom is already puffing up around my hen. He tries to get with her I guess, but she usually runs back to me. Sometimes he'll attack her head, she'll come over and rub her head against my leg and get in between my legs and sit there. This morning I thought they were going to mate. But he she just attacked his gobble and ran away. If he's puffing up and she sees me, she's going towards me. It's like she's more interested in me than the tom. Sometimes my head will just hold on to my shirt and not let go. She's not really biting me she's just not letting go. If I'm walking around the yard they will both follow me like dogs. I have been around these turkeys for every day of their life. My dad got them at tractor supply saying it was interesting, I don't know if they're from the same flock, I might try to get more turkeys to expand my turkey Empire. But is there something wrong with my female hen? It's crazy how I can't pull anybody but a turkey 😭

These are my first two turkeys, a gift for me from my dad. I'm sure it's mating season (my chickens already had their chicks) I think we got the turkeys around April 20th of this year, so they're around 5 - 6 months old. A turkey is only sexually mature after a year, but my Tom is already puffing up around my hen. He tries to get with her I guess, but she usually runs back to me. Sometimes he'll attack her head, she'll come over and rub her head against my leg and get in between my legs and sit there. This morning I thought they were going to mate. But he she just attacked his gobble and ran away. If he's puffing up and she sees me, she's going towards me. It's like she's more interested in me than the tom. Sometimes my head will just hold on to my shirt and not let go. She's not really biting me she's just not letting go. If I'm walking around the yard they will both follow me like dogs. I have been around these turkeys for every day of their life. My dad got them at tractor supply saying it was interesting, I don't know if they're from the same flock, I might try to get more turkeys to expand my turkey Empire. But is there something wrong with my female hen? It's crazy how I can't pull anybody but a turkey 😭
Turkey mating season is in the spring. They are seasonal layers.

If you got these from TSC, they are most likely Broad Breasted turkeys. Broad Breasted turkeys are commercially raised with the use of artificial insemination. Post some photos of your turkeys so we can see what you have.

Your hen is acting like a human imprinted turkey. If they are human imprinted, they do not understand that there is a difference between people and turkeys.

Turkey mating season is in the spring. They are seasonal layers.

If you got these from TSC, they are most likely Broad Breasted turkeys. Broad Breasted turkeys are commercially raised with the use of artificial insemination. Post some photos of your turkeys so we can see what you have.

Your hen is acting like a human imprinted turkey. If they are human imprinted, they do not understand that there is a difference between people and turkeys.
I got u

Attachments

• Snapchat-872752192.jpg
    Snapchat-872752192.jpg
    560.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Snapchat-265214641.jpg
    Snapchat-265214641.jpg
    654.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Snapchat-388720449.jpg
    Snapchat-388720449.jpg
    703.4 KB · Views: 57
Looks like Broad Breasted Bronze to me. The broad breasted varieties were developed for fast growth to be harvested for meat by the time they are 6 months old.

I don't recommend keeping them for breeding. If you want to keep them as pets, you will need to manage their diet and see that they get lots of exercise.

Looks like Broad Breasted Bronze to me. The broad breasted varieties were developed for fast growth to be harvested for meat by the time they are 6 months old.

I don't recommend keeping them for breeding. If you want to keep them as pets, you will need to manage their diet and see that they get lots of exercise.
Don't worry, they're free range and run around with my dogs, thank you for your help

What's the reason why you don't breed the meat turkeys?

What's the reason why you don't breed the meat turkeys?
They have been developed to be bred by artificial insemination. They are not good natural breeders. They get too big and too heavy too quickly.

Before artificial insemination became the thing to do, they used yearlings only as the brood stock.

The hens cannot move their feet in the delicate manner that heritage hens do. This plus their weight makes them poor hatchers and brooders of poults. If a poult gets stepped on by a broad breasted hen, it will not survive.

Back
Top Bottom